Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

my macbook pro has a admin lock on it, i dont remember the

my macbook pro has a admin lock on it, i don't remember the password. i tried for 2day to reboot the macbook pro with the os x cd by holding down (c) @ startup, but it doesn't do anything but takes me to the login in screen! please help

i also tried holding the option key @ startup, i takes me to a grey screen with a lock on it... it requires a password XXXXX well

There are a couple other things to try. Try restarting while holding down the Option key, and see if you can select the disk to startup from there. Then you should be able to use the Password XXXXX tool.

If you have another Mac, you might also try restarting the computer while holding down the T key, connecting it to the other Mac via Firewire, and restarting the other computer from the install disc. You should be able to reset the user password XXXXX there.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The gray screen with a lock is called an open firmware password. It prevents you from starting in any other way than the generic system startup. You'll need to reset the password XXXXX startup from any disc.

To reset it, you'll need to remove one of your RAM chips from the computer, and reset the PRAM (hold down the p+r+option+command keys for 3 full restarts, then release). After that, you should be able to startup from the disc by holding down the C key, and put the RAM chip back in.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last question.... how and why would that be put on a new computer? i brought the computer new off ebay