iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

How do I connect my MacBook to my Idj Numark mixer using a

Customer Question

How do I connect my MacBook to my Idj Numark mixer using a USB connection. I would connect my computer directly to my amp, but I need the mic input on the mixing board.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , i would like to assist you with with issue .

Please provide me with the mixer model number .
And more details about your Mac . age , CPU spec , etc .

What inputs are available on the mixer ? is there an optical SPDIF or Toslink input?
Depending on Model your Mac will have a dual use head phone jack , that can be used for analog audio out using a stereo 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA or 2x Quarter inch jack mono depending on your mixers inputs . Or Optical toslink cable "3.5mm optical jack converter required for use ". Select "digital out" from the Apple menu , System preferences "Sound" control panel for your Macs default audio out if using digital optical out .

Are you using a Mic plugged in to the Mac or the Mixer ?

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 3/14/2010 at 5:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My mac is a new MacBook that I bought in November 2009.
The mixer is an ION iDJ by Numark The inputs on the mixer are USB 1.0, 2.0, Channel 1 and 2 inputs (red and white for each) There is no optical or SPDIF or Toslink.

When I connect the mixer to the Mac using the a USB 2.O, it is not recognized in the DJAY preferences or in my sound system preferences.

I can connect my Mac to my amp with a 1/8 jack in the mac headphone and 1/4 jacks into the amp, but that leaves me with no place to enter the mic so I need to find a way to use the mixer for the mic.

Is there way to plug a mic into the Mac?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Yes , you can plug a Mic in to a mac , either via the Mic input jack or a Firewire or USB interface such as the Motu traveler interface or 8pre .

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/body.html/

If you run the whole gig via a 828mk11 for instance you can do whole mixes and add effects all real time in applications like Logic pro .

-

The iDJ should also connect to the Mac via USB so there maybe a problem with the User settings in OSX there may be a corrupted system file stop the units use .

We can create a new user on OSX to see if this helps .

Create a new user account OSX

ok lets make an new user account :-

1 Go to the Apple menu , System preferences

2 Click on "Accounts" pane control panel.

3 Unlock the padlock , use your Account password XXXXX
Disable , auto login in the accounts control panel , to choose a login on restart.

4 Press the + button to make a new user , select an administrator account .

5 Name the account , use a simple password XXXXX create the account .

6 Close the pad lock .

7 Restart and log on to your new account

8 Try all the audio settings you need as before to see if there working .

Once you have done this , shutdown the Mac , and Restart from cold .
Log on as the new user , and test

If this cures the problem then its software or / preference / driver issue and not a hardware problem.

I recommend changing the USB lead you are using for a known working one , and or try a second USB2 port on your Mac , do not connect via keyboard hubs , monitor USB ports or extensions.

You should be able to see your USB audio device in Audio MIDI setup , application from the Mac HD / Applications / Utilities folder. Under the control panel menus Audio Devices : and possibly System profiler under USB devices ,

Also try finding your audio hardware in your applications audio preferences .
Garage band , Logic etc ..

Note:
Please boot with the device connected to the Mac for test.

Please let me know if this helps .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 3/14/2010 at 11:54 PM EST