Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

Is Final Cut Pro or the new Final Cut Studio capable of taking

Is Final Cut Pro or the new Final Cut Studio capable of taking a live feed from an HD professional camera and save individual clips such as Imovie does with mini dvd cameras? I am looking to gradually upgrade my system to capture higher quality video but be able to turn around the clips to insert in idvd to produce quick dvds on sight at events. I had wanted to use HD camera but imovie will not recognize any HD camera.
I worked in a video production studio for a little while, and the best advise I can give you is to switch from iMovie to something that's a little more professionally laid out. Final Cut Express does more than iMovie, but incorporates the media management features of the full version of Final Cut. If you upgrade to the full Final Cut Studio, you'll also get DVD Studio Pro which will allow you to create more professional looking menus for your products.

Final Cut Express is pretty cheap, and should work with any HD camera. It is important that you set the settings on the camera correctly in order to import the footage. You'll need to spend a little time learning the differences in the interfaces, but pretty soon, you'll wonder how you ever got your projects done in iMovie.