Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

When I send a job to print, nothing happens with the printer,

When I send a job to print, nothing happens with the printer, but the job shows up in the "jobs completed" queu. The printer doesn't even make a sound like it's getting ready to print or anything. What is going on? My printer is an HP Photosmart C4580. I have already tried the regular stuff like restarting my computer, restarting the printer, unplugging the printer from my computer, removing it from the system, then replugging and adding it back on. Still, when I send a print, it goes straight to the "completed jobs" list without the printer ever hearing of it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mac OS X version 10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
First we can try to reset the Printing System and see if that helps or not.

1. Connect your Printer to your Mac.
  2. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  3. Open Print & Fax ( you can also open Print & Fax from the View menu)
  4. Control-click (Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual/popup menu.
This should reset your printer, now restart your Mac and try to print again..Good Luck with it.

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still no luck. The printer doesn't budge, but the print job automatically shows up in the completed jobs list.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Can you copy from the printer ? Does the printer works itself ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. The printer can copy and even scan to the computer. In fact I can either hit the scan button on the printer itself or use the HP scan pro from my computer and the message gets sent to the scanner. Well, I just tried that and the scanner said it was "scanning" at least, but nothing else happened. It never says "printing" when I try to print. Usually when I scan stuff, I use the "scan" button on the printer at least the first time, then after that I can usually scan by clicking scan from my computer. So it definitely seems like a communication from the computer to the printer thing. I wonder if it's trying to use the network even though they're plugged into each other... I tried running a network diagnostic once and it said everything was fine except "server failed"...the mac is the server, and it has bluetooth capabilities, but is not always good at using them, so I just keep the printer plugged in.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Did you tried different USB Port or cable ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The ports on my computer are all good. I just tested each one with my keyboard. I don't think I have another cable. Should I try unplugging it and using the bluetooth thing?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yeah, try bluetooth. Also update your printer drivers, that might help.

Download and install Printer drivers from here, after installing it, restart your Mac.

only click accept after it worked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I updated the drivers yesterday.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago. driver problem. Okay...check bluetooth printing. If that didn't worked, try a different cable, may be the cable got damaged somehow.