Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I have been trying to back up my itunes purchases since I plan

I have been trying to back up my itunes purchases since I plan on installing a new operating system on my computer. When the back up window appears, I make my selection but nothing happens. The other strange thing that is happening is that the back up button in the window is fading in and out instead of staying a steady blue color. Thanks for any help you can give me. XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

If you want to keep your library intact (for instance, if you have any ratings, settings on an individual file such as EQ setting, volume settings, sorting settings, etc), you may not want to use the Backup option. The easiest thing to do is to navigate to the iTunes folder and copy this folder onto an external hard drive. You can find your iTunes folder by going to the Start Orb (formerly the Start Button) and choosing Music. From here, you will see an iTunes folder. Copy this to an external drive.

Once you have your new system installed, copy the iTunes folder back and put it exactly where it was. When you run iTunes, it will have you accept the license agreement (normal) and your iTunes library should open back up the way it was before.

Hope this information helps!

Best Regards,