Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

My wife has a Mac laptop ebook. Recently she pressed the chat

Customer Question

My wife has a Mac laptop ebook. Recently she pressed the chat button with disastrous results: a deluge of salacious messages. Using the Preference section, I've tried to block repeaters and indicate she only wanted to chat with names listed on her Contacts. All to no avail. I'm sending this from my own pc. Can you instruct me on how to shut down the chat section, at the very least make sure this stops?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like her username has been compromised (someone has gotten her username and password, and is using them), and she'll need to create a new one. I'd recommend she create a new account with the same chat service she's currently using, and then manually input her chat contacts.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have additional questions regarding the issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: The answer makes sense, but I'm confused. Is the chat option a part of Skype or another program? To change my wife's email id and pw is going to cause much mailing. May I have some more detailed directions? Are there any other options? Thanks..
The answer makes sense, but I'm confused. Is the chat option a part of Skype or another program? To change my wife's email id and pw is going to cause much mailing. May I have some more detailed directions? Are there any other options? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I submitted a request for a little more information when you replied originally. In effect, were you saying that my wife should change her email program and address? Why not at least some comment about the vulnerability of the "chat" option?

..Mick Daly

Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Mick, I just received your response. You shouldn't need to changer her email, just her Skype username and password. When you start Skype, you should be given the option to create a new user. You'll need to let any Skype contacts know that you've changed users, but you don't need to changer your email.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jesse..

I may be dense, but can't find option to "create new user". I was using my own pc, not my wife's mac. Also, our accounts are separate. Meanwhile, the sewage keeps coming, whenever she uses. Is this a common problem? Let me know if the new user creation option is only on mac, or just how unobservant (dumb?) I am.. ..Mick

Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
It should be on both. When you first launch Skype, and you see the login screen, you should see a small link under the Username field that says "Don't have a Skype name?". Click that and you should be able to set up a new one.

If you're automatically logged in when you launch Skype, look for an option to logout, then you should get the login screen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jesse..

We're at loggerheads. I still couldn't find the fields you mentioned, went to Profile where the info is that while one can change his account name and info, the Skype name can't be changed. I'm not usually dense to the duh level, but I'm surely missing something here. Let me know what you think.. ..Mick

Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
You're looking for a "logout" option. It should be under the Skype or File menu's at the top.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jesse..

Following your instructions, we now have a new Skype name with the expected chore of relisting contacts. BUT now how do we transfer the old account and credit, and what about the phone number? Does this simply mean getting a new phone number? As matters stand now, clicking the Skype button brings up Skype under the new name, with one contact, which is my wife's first Skype name and phone number. Is there any way simply to get a credit refund, delete all names to date, and join Skype anew? All the while I was working through your directions, the site kept getting the porno calls. The blocking and deleting name process remains worthless. I await clarification.

Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
You'll need to contact Skype about refunding your existing account balance and possibly the phone number. What happened is unfortunate, but does happen, and starting fresh is the only way to fix it.