Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

My microsoft word unexpectedly quits immediately upon launching

Customer Question

My microsoft word unexpectedly quits immediately upon launching the program.
Why could it be doing that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Your best bet is to reinstall Office from the installation discs. Make sure that before you run the installer, you run the Office Uninstaller on the installation disc. That will clear out any files (including an corrupted files that are likely causing the problem), and install the software fresh.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have additional questions regarding the issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure where my microsoft office disc is. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Try logging in as another user, or restarting while holding down the Shift key, and opening Word. Let me know if that works. Also, try your best to find the Office disc, that's your best bet for solving the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried the loggin idea, but that was unsuccessful. I am afraid that I have lost my installation disc. Bummer! Do I owe you the $18 even though the problem cannot be solved.
This happened about a week ago with Word and it all of a sudden resolved itself. I did a software update today and it has resurfaced.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
You don't pay the $18 until you accept an answer, and I don't expect you to do that unless we solve the problem. Which version of Mac OS are you using? If you're not sure, go to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen, and select the About this Mac option.

That screen will tell you your version. Let me know and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I have figured it out with a short cut. I opened a document on my desk top that was a word document and that got word to work.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Then it may mean the link on your Dock to Microsoft Word is bad. Make sure Word is closed, and drag the Word icon away from your Dock and letting go. Then, go into your Applications folder, and drag Word back down to your Dock.

Let me know if that helps, or if you have any other questions.