Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

Is this site for real ! I purchased a used G5. What should

Customer Question

Is this site for real?!

I purchased a used G5. What should I do to remove the previous owner and start anew? Included discs:

OS X Tiger and OS X Install disk 1,2,3.

Thanks a million!

Kirt
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Do you want to wipe everything off of the computer and start fresh, including the programs? Or do you want to just clean it up and set up a new user for yourself? Just a little direction and I'll get you a full rundown.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are only a few extra software additions (like WORD) on it already. My thought would be to do a complete wipe.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that should be easy. First let's determine what disks you actually have in front of you.

You said you have the Mac OS X Tiger Disk. What exactly does it say on the disk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
"includes Xcode2" "CPU drop in DVD" V10.4
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now on to the hard part....

Are the rest of the Install Disks for Tiger as well? If they are, then let's proceed.

What we are going to want to do is first "Archive and Install" the Mac OS X to confirm that the Install Disks are correct for this mac, just to be safe.

1) Insert the Mac OS X install disk.

2) Shut down the computer.

3) Start the machine while holding the C key immediately after pressing the power button (Don't let go of the "C" until it starts from the disk or locks up). If you have to choose, select the Installation disk as the startup.

4) When it starts, a screen should appear asking you to "Choose your language."
NOTE: If you get the login screen instead of the "Choose your language" screen, then the mac DID NOT boot up off of the Install Disk. In this case, try shutting down the computer. Then restarting while holding down the "option" key until the Startup manager appears (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310). When it does, click on the Install Disk as the startup volume.

5) Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.

6) Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.

7) After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.

8) After reading or printing the information, click Continue.

9) An agreement sheet appears. Click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.

10) Click the volume that you wish to install to (this will be your hard drive).

11) Click Options. (This is the most important part of the "Archive and Install" process). The installation options sheet appears.

12) Select Archive and Install.

13) Select the volume (your hard drive) which already has Mac OS X installed.

14) You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings. This will keep all of your original files and your home directory. VERY IMPORTANT.

15) Click Ok.

16) Click Continue to begin the installation.

17) When complete, you'll need to restart the mac.

18) Thoroughly test to make sure the Mac is running fine and you have no problems during the install.

If at this point, the mac is running fine, then it's time to clear it off and start anew.

1) Insert the Mac OS X install disk 1 if it isn't already.

2) Shut down the computer and boot up off of the Install Disk, same as you did before.

3) When it starts, a screen should appear asking you to "Choose your language."

4) Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.

5) Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.

6) After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.

7) After reading or printing the information, click Continue.

8) An agreement sheet appears. Click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.

9) Click the volume that you wish to install to (this will be your hard drive).

10) This time when you install, you are going to want to choose to do a "Clean Install". There will be some warnings that pop up telling you this will completely erase the computer and all users and settings. Follow the on-screen instructions and proceed.

When complete and you restart the mac, it will boot as if it is the first time. Allowing you the opportunity to set up your own user name and settings.

Enjoy and Good Luck! I am about to head home for my 2 hour commute. I will be back on this evening to make sure everything went as planned.
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience: 19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX proceeding. Will get back when finished.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
I'll be around. Good Luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Finally got around to it. Seems to work, however the disks I was given were for TIGER and the MAC already had LEOPARD on it! So, thanks.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Were you able to clear the computer? Or did you not want to revert to Tiger?