loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

I am in a Unit -for a month- without a wireless router. Any

I am in a Unit -for a month- without a wireless router. Any short term solution to this problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 6 years ago.
Hi ges,

What type of computer do you have? Any chance this computer is able to see other wireless networks? Are there cellular towers within range of where you are? You have a few options. The easiest would be to do a discover using your wireless device (if you have one) and, based on the db strength, find out which access point this wireless connectivity belongs to and ask them if you could pay a small fee for connecting to their network occasionally. If you have cellular access, you could purchase a data plan and device from that cellular carrier, but this is not as cost-effective as the first option.

Let me know what you have and we'll go from there.

Thanks and regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a new MacBook and am in a Unit with a wireless router.I vacate the Unit today for the rest of the month will be renting a Unit that doesnot have a wireless router. I dont how to a discovery..And I wouldnt know how find out if my computer is able to see other wireless networks. My landlord here gave the password XXXXX to utilize his wireless router and you drop down the menu from the upper right hand corner there a a number of other connections. Maybe that is what you mean by discover. But wont I need a wireless router abyway? ges
Your Macbook has a built-in wireless device that allows it to connect to any wireless access point (also known as a wireless router in most cases) as long as the signal being sent by this access point is within range of the MacBook. If you open System Preferences from Finder, then open Network, ensure that your Airport card is set to "On". After you've done this, click the dropdown next to Network Name (be sure Airport is selected in the left pane or you will not see the option for "Network Name" in the right pane) and you will see a list of available networks to connect to. If close enough, you might see one or more. If there are none, you won't see any in this dropdown. Additionally, if you look at the very top of your screen close to the time at top right, you should see an icon that looks like this:

If you click it as shown in the screenshot, you will see that it will automatically detect those wireless networks that are in range of your Macbook. You do not need a wireless router to connect to these networks, merely the Airport card that comes with newer Macbooks. If you have been given access by someone in your area to a wireless network, choose the name from the list of wireless networks and enter the password XXXXX by the individual that's allowing you access.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Kind regards,