Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

hi, i have an apple powerbook G4, which i have just acquired

Customer Question

hi, i have an apple powerbook G4, which i have just acquired second hand, and am having a problem with it sleeping. i shut the lid for any period of time, and 90% of the time when i re-open it the screen is on but dull, and then it goes back to sleep. i have tried pressing all the buttons, i have tried re-opening it seconds later, and leaving it hours. i have also messed about with the sleep times and power settings, and nothing has worked. i might be an idiot, but i cant work it out. help! any help would be very greatly appreciated. cheers!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
Has the machine been worked on or do you know if it has?
There are small magnets placed around the keyboard and under the case that holds the keyboard that tell the PowerBook to sleep when the lid is closed, if there are missing or out of place then it will not function correctly.
The other thing to look for is if the ClamShell mode is on, look in System Profiler by clicking More info on the 'About this Mac' window.
Those two things can cause this behavior.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok mate, well i had a look and clamshell mode is on so it will wake when opened, it must be the magnets you mentioned. i will open her up and have a look through, although i did ask the previous owner if he had opened it up and he said he hadn't. is there any software to do with this, or anything like this? cheers.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
ClamShell is for use with the lid closed, that way an external keyboard and monitor is used instead of the built in ones.
Makes it into a desktop.
Tell me what version MAC OS X is on it and I can help you turn it off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its MAC OS X 10.5.8 i think its leopard. cheers.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Try resetting the PRAM.
Restart and hold down the 'Option', 'Command(Apple)', 'R' and 'P' keys down until you hear 4 start up chimes then let go.
As soon as it finishes loading, give it a couple minutes, then see if it sleeps like it should.
I have to be gone for about 2 hours but will be back to see how it did.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nope still no luck, i held in the buttons for ages and no bong. i tried closing the screen and re-opening it just incase it had worked and not made a sound, but no luck, it still doesnt wake up properly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ive tried it a few more times but still no luck bud.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
That is not so good, so what we will do now is reset the PMU (Power System Management).
Which PowerBook is it.
The speed and or model will do. All these Macs have a different way to do this.