Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

My comcast cable offers free Norton Security Suite (2010)

Customer Question

My
comcast cable offers free Norton Security Suite (2010) for my new iMac if I want it---not sure if I need it and not sure if it would "take over the machine??" or if I can still use Safari --I'm very happy with my Mac as it is---will things change if i get the free download??? Linda
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello Linda, my name is Dan.
Refuse the Norton, it will cause you nothing but headaches.
Stick with Safari, there is a little known feature in Safari Preferences for dealing with sites that don't want to play nice.
Open Safari Preferences and click on the Advanced tab.
graphic
Then this will be in the menu bar of Safari.
graphic
I find that FireFox works well as the user agent for sites that don't like Safari.
But please say no to Norton.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan, thanks for your opinion. What will the changes that you suggest do to my mac--and I do not believe that I have FoxFire downloaded on my machine--does that matter??
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, you do not need FireFox for this or any other browser, that only tells Safari what to pretend to be so the site thinks it is dealing with an inferior browser.
Turning on the Develop menu will have no adverse affect, quite the opposite, it gives you more usability.
As far as security goes, I have had Macs since shortly after the first one ever was, and I have never had any anti virus software of any kind in use.I have looked at some and tested some but trashed them all.
I have never had a virus of any kind affect my Macs.
Bugs aplenty but no virus'.
So what I am saying is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but if you feel that you want protection then this is what I suggest.McAfee – Antivirus, Encryption, DLP, IPS, Firewall, Email Security, Web Security, SaaS, Risk and Compliance Solutions
I don't use it but Norton is worse that the virus.