Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I recently bought an Iomega portable hard drive, S/N 50a9461189,

Customer Question

I recently bought an Iomega portable hard drive, S/N 50a9461189, and it's been working well. Today however, it's icon does not appear on the desktop of my Mac G4 (OS 10.4). After much screwing around (restarting the Mac, unplugging the HD, plugging the additional power cord into the HD, turning the HD off and on, etc. Once it appeared on the desktop, but before I could do anything with it, it disappeared and I got a dialog box saying: "DEVICE REMOVAL" The device you removed was not properly put away. Data might have been lost or damaged. Before you unplug your device,you must first select its icon in the Finder and choose Eject from the File menu" That's exactly what I've been doing! The only change to my system is the installation of hi-speed wireless between my laptop and my desktop Macs yesterday. I'm having the same problem with my old Iomega Zip Drive......insert disk and no icon...also no green flashing light on the unit. Any ideas?

Thanks XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tony, my name is Dan.
I have found that while cussing doesn't improve things and it turns the air blue it does let off steam.
Just remember that computers and water don't mix.
Try a PRAM reset, this resets all the system busses including but not limited to the USB.
Restart and hold down the 'Option', 'Command (Apple)', 'R' and 'P' keys until you hear 4 startup chimes, there can be 10 seconds between chimes, then let go.
You must use a USB connected keyboard for the desktop and the built in keyboard on laptops.
Wireless keyboards do not work for this.
Do that and see if the drive will appear again and let me know the result.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Daniel.....I think we're gaining on it! This time, after the PRAM restart, I got the HDD icon on the desktop, opened it and started doing some work with it. I got about 3-4 minutes into it when it disappeared again and I got the annoying dialog box about Device Removal. Also, the Zip drive doesn't respond to insertion of a disk (no icon on desktop and no tiny green light on the button on the drive). Also, when I started this reply a few minutes ago, everything stopped, went dark and a dialog box said I had to restart my computer, so I did. When I held the power button down to restart, I got a single (clear tone, not the usual harmonious start-up tone), followed by a little message that I had to type "mac-boot" and hit return. That's where I am now, Mac is going, but no icons, no devices showing.

I appreciate your efforts, can we keep going?

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Which model iMac do you have? Look in 'About this Mac' in the Apple menu and it will tell the speed and the OS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Daniel: 800 MHz PowerPC G4, with 512 MB SDRAM. Mac OS X V. 10.4.11.

Serial No. W824504ZNB4

I appreciate your sticking with this and hope we (you) have success!

Cheers

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You have one of the flat panels, I have three of those, two 700s and one 1.25, classic machines.
This webpage has pictures and everything, with that it makes it easy.
If you are using the same Mac that has the problem then print this out for reference.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Daniel:

Your answer scares the heck out of me! i'm not used to opening up Mac hardware, and I get nervous about screwng something up. Is there no other way to address this problem, without opening it up?

Latest information: The Iomega HD seems to work ok on my laptop (which doesn't look good for the desktop!). However, the desktop works just fine with Sandisk and Lexar jump drives (i.e.,neither jump drive causes the icon to disappear and the annoying "Device Removed" message to appear. So, is it possible that this is solely an Iomega problem (HD and Zip drives)? The last time I used the HD (last night), it worked for 5 minutes before kicking out, is that a good sign? I'm tempted to switch slots on the USB hub to see if the hub is connection is causing it.......or am I chasing windmills??
As you can see, I'm avoiding thoughts about taking the hardward apart!! If you're hard over about that being the solution, I'll think about it for a few days, and see if I can work up the courage to do the PMU reset.
I only signed up for the free trial, but if we can solve this, I'll sign up and follow up with the "bonus" for you that you mentioned.

Cheers

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
It is indeed looking like the Iomega is what is having the problem.
You could try copying everything off the drive, reformatting and then see what it does.
There is this utility (which is a good one to have for keeping things running smooth) DiskWarrior 4.
Resetting that PMU is really not all that invasive, it only involves the bottom cover but since the problem seems isolated to the Iomega may not be necessary.
Plugging it into the machine and not the hub may fix it, some USB devices don't like hubs.
Firewire is a technology that only caught on to the video industry and even that is switching to USB.
Firewire can be daisy chained were USB cannot and that is where the problem appears.
So try it without the hub, might be an easy fix.