Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Have started having problems sending emails. They are taking

Have started having problems sending emails. They are taking A LONG TIME to go and sometimes not at all.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Click on the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, on the drop down go to About this Mac and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Also what email program are you using and what service do you use (Yahoo, Gmail, MobileMe, other)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
System: 10.4.11
Processor: 1GHz Power PC G4, 2 MB LS cache
Memory: 1.38 GB SDRAM

Email program is through Safari with AOL service. Have had this setup for years and never had issues before.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
you can try this:

Go to your Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see you hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK let me know.

That just takes that out of the equation. As far as AOL that is pretty much their private service and if it is slow you really need to call or email them. you can go here to check you internet speed:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

if that is OK it is AOL that is slow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your solution seemed to work great yesterday. Outgoing emails were faster. However, today I am getting messages that the serve smpt.aol.com does not recognize me and will not send outgoing messages.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
You are using Safari and just logging in to their website at AOL. com, correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. If I quite mail, it resets for a bit, but always ends up shutting down again in a few minutes. Sorry if I am a problem.....
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
You mean if you quit Safari? What is shutting down, the computer, Safari? You have to be a little more specific. Thanks.

Have you tried the AOL software?

http://daol.aol.com/software/mac
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I quit the mail application of Safari not Safari altogether. (The safari Mail application automatically opens for mail on my computer.)
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
OK Safari is a web browser and Apple Mail is in the Applications folder. It is opening Safari and going to AOL’s website and I assume you are reading your mail on their website. Safari is the application so you are not quitting anything. I don’t understand.

I would try using Firefox instead maybe you will have more luck:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

or try AOL's software.