iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

Im getting error 2048 on start up of OS X. I understand that

Customer Question

I'm getting error 2048 on start up of OS X. I understand that there is a registry scan tool you can download, but it seems only to be for PCs. Is there a Mac version out there? Hope you can help! Thanks Kirsty
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,
I would like to assist you with this .

Please can you explain the problem in full to the best of your ability?

Please can you reply and provide me full details of the computer equipment?

I need to know exactly what Mac you are using ,
please provide all or as much information as you possibly can.

Key Information :-

1 OSX version , Mac model number , part number ,
2 CPU type manufacture and Speed ,
3 Age of computer and history .
4 Any additional extras like memory that was installed
5 The screen size of the imac or laptop if applicable.
6 Are you under any form of warranty for the Equipment?

You can collect much of this info on the Mac via the Apple menu , About this Mac , More info , and the rear or underside of the device or computer.

-

Also i would like the version number of the software that your having problems with?

Find this info either with Get info from within the Finder , select the application in the finder and use the right mouse button to show the contextual menu , then choose "get info ".

Alternatively launch the Application and use the Applications top screen menu for "About" to get the application version number and details of the application.

I await your reply ,

Thanks .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I have a G5 Mac, bought in 2004. with 1.8 Ghz, 256 MB DDR SDRRAM. We also have a second hard drive only used for storing music and pictures of about the same size, which has plenty of memory left. OS X 10.4.1 was running perfectly with no probs until last week when internet suddenly stopped working: Mac no longer recognised the Ethernet cable connection to our Belkin router. Router is working OK on other computers in the house via Airports. Network assistant tells me that 'another application has changed the settings' but will not say which application it is. In an effort to fix the problem myself I archived system software 10.4.1 and reinstalled 10.3.5. Problem continued, so I ran hardware check, which told me there was a memory error at start up 'post/0/2048'

Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , down grading with a archive install is not recommended and cause errors if installed over a previous OSX 10.4 although the system seems to be installed ok.

Please backup all your data if you can at this point , to DVD data disks.
I.e pictures, music , documents , bookmarks etc .

Please update back to tiger 10.4 and use a combo updater to update to 10.4.11 from apple downloads section . Please read though all the information given and attempt a upgrade install of OSx 10.4 or erase install of 10.4 **if you have your data backed up or there is no need for the user account .

Note:
Erase install will completely clear the Mac HD if opted for .

-

If the router is set up correctly , power on , all leads connected ?

1 Open Apple menu system preferences , network control panel .

2 Select your Ethernet port from the left list .

3 Click advanced and then TCPIP. or the TCPIP TAB.

4 Select Using DHCP from the control panel menu.

5 The setting should now automatically fill in .

6 Press ok , or close the window.

7 The Ethernet port you selected should now be Green to show its connected.

8 Under the proxies Tab , Check on "Use passive FTP mode". All other Proxies options off.

9 In the Ethernet tab select configure "Automatically"

8 Test the internet .

If there are still problems , i suggest that we create a new user amount , and repeat the setups to test for wireless and Ethernet connections using the new account .

You can make a new Admin user account in System preferences , Accounts control panel by using the + button after you have unlocked the pad lock with your user password XXXXX Also allow user to administer the computer to setup as an admin account.
You will need to disable auto login for the old account , and then restart to login to the new user .

Repeat the Ethernet setup procedure and test .

Please let me know how you get on .

Thanks.

-
-
-

Combo updates for once tiger is installed.

Hi ,
its good practice to install a Combo update to your Mac HD OSX installation.
This should iron out any defective installs carried out using the normal incremental install used via the Software update in the Apple menu .

Below is the 10.4.11 PPC installer for use with 10.4 basic tiger install.

For OSX 10.4.11 Tiger : PPC CPU
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html

Before and after installation checks :-

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with startup volume OSX

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Repairing permissions may help the installer / Application , and fix this issue .

-

You may also like to run a full disk check with a tool such as
Drive genius to check for problems :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

Also please download and install this handy maintenance widget for the Dashboard in OSX ,
and run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly :-

http://www.bradflaugher.com/MaintenanceWidget.html

-

Now the Mac OSX HD should be up to date and error free :)

Edited by iteachmac on 3/2/2010 at 4:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do I update back to 10.4 when I don't have access to the internet on the Mac? Can I unarchive the system somehow?

We have been trying the 8 point plan you suggest (selecting ethernet, TCPIP etc) but screen shows no IP address, no subnet mask, no DHCP client ID, Router blank. This was the result we got in 10.4, and then 10.3.5.

Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , do you not have the 10.4 OSX install disks ?
you stated you downgraded to 10.3 etc .
Did you preserve user settings with the downgrade , if so it may have carried over settings that are developing the fault ?

Have you tried creating a new user account to see if the problem is still present ?

Does the Ethernet hardware show up in System profiler** ?
If it does not ? , zapping Pram may reset the hardware .

**
Apple menu , about this Mac , more info .

Thanks .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have tried creating new account, but still no luck. The system profiler refuses to open so I cannot see if Ethernet hardware is listed there. Ethernet does not appear in the system preferences hardware list.

I upgraded to 10.4 via the internet, so do not have disks.

How do I zap the Pram? Thanks, K

Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , ok thanks for the info .

Ok either the hardware has failed? , or the software is not installed correctly ?

Or other ram settings on the mac are lost .

-

Does the clock show the correct time and date ?

If set does the Mac recall the correct time and date once turned off and unplugged for 2hrs?

There is a small built in battery that store this info , if it goes flat it can cause problems.

-

We can try zapping the pram as below to try to rebuild the Mac possibly lost hardware settings.

Zap pram:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously as below.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

-

Lets hope this brings the Ethernet port back to life ?

If it does not , we have to make sure we have a clean OSX install to check if this is software fault or hardware. ?

It maybe possible to check Ethernet hardware is working while booted to the OSX installer DVD . use the latest one you have . See apple system profiler if possible from within the Mac OSX Installer setup , top menus .
If possible check to see if the Ethernet hardware is available using this method .
If we can see Ethernet hardware? , then there must be a problem with the Mac HD OSX install.

Please let me know the results for each step with a ? applied .

Thanks .