Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

tried to boot camp and now windows did not install properly

Customer Question

tried to boot camp and now windows did not install properly and my hard drive is read only. how can i erase my hard drive and re install the mac os
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Put the System disk in and reboot holding down the C key. You should be able to erase the hard drive and start over. Over course you will lose everything if you do that. Are you sure it is not just the new partition boot camp created that is read only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you say the C key do you mean command or C, and i'm pretty sure it is not just the new partition because the whole hard drive is read only
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The letter C. But you can use the Boot Camp Assistant to put the partition back. Click Remove Windows Partition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried that and it just broght me to the install screen and when i made it to the select destination screen no hard drive appears. It's as if my computer is only reading the internal hard drive as a windows and not a mac. I have my OS installed on my external hard drive now and tried to erase it that way but that didn't work. where should i go from here?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
When you get to that screen look at the top of the screen to Utilities. On the dropdown go to Disk Utility and there you can open it and erase your hard rive and then install
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i got to the disk utility screen but everything is grey and it won't let me earse or do anything with it. in the left hand tool bar it has my hard drive and then another sub hard drive catagory and that one says it is windows formated and it looks like it is taking up the whole hard drive. but when i click on the actually hard drive it syas it is unformated.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Unplug any external hard drive you don‘t want to erase the wrong one. Highlight the top item after you have done that and erase. Or you can try going to Partition and delete the partitions first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i select the hard drive everything is grey and it won't let me click erase
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
you are booted from the install disk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i believe so, there is nothing connected to my computer and the installation disc is in the disk drive
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What computer are you posting this from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my family computer. The computer i am having trouble with is my personal laptop
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK I can‘t be sure so leave the disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. Then when you get to the install screen you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities drop down. Go to Disk Utility.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea it still will not let me erase anything. All the buttons are grey and i can't click them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey thank you for your help. i ended up finding how to earse the hard drive from terminal and that worked. thank you for you help anyway
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You highlight the top item and click on the Erase tab and it won’t let you erase it? The Erase button is greyed out? Anyway you can send a picture of that from your phone or spmething?XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I see we cross posted I didn‘t see that sorry. So all is good?