Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

My passcode on my ipod has been changed and it want let me

Customer Question

My passcode on my ipod has been changed and it want let me into my ipod how can i reset evrything and start again
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

I'm going to assume you have an iPod Touch since you are mentioning a passcode. You may need to put the iPod into what is called DFU mode. This doesn't actually boot the iPod so you can bypass anything done to it. DFU mode is tricky to get into sometimes so it may take a few tries.

To do this, on the iPod, hold down the Home button (located below the screen) and the Power button (located at the top of the device). Hold these down together until the screen turns off. Ignore the red slider about powering off. If you keep them held down, it will turn itself off.

As soon as the screen goes black, release the Power button (top) and keep holding the Home button (below the screen). Hold it for at least 10-20 seconds. If you see the Apple logo, you didn't let go of the Power button quick enough so you'll need to do it again.

If after 10-20 seconds of holding just the Home button, you don't see anything on the screen, you are ready to go. Plug your iPod into the computer and open iTunes. It will tell you it found an iPod in recovery mode. Follow the prompts to restore your iPod.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,