Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

keyboard wont work on macbook

Customer Question

keyboard wont work on macbook. It was in standby mode and working as usual when I opened it there was no keyboard function. I rebooted it and when I did that it came up with a message trying to connect to bluetooth keyboard. It is also having a hard time turning on.
Thanks for your answer
Susie Pitt
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like it is connecting to a Bluetooth keyboard which is why you can‘t use yours. If you are not using Bluetooth just turn it off. System Preferences under the Apple logo Bluetooth uncheck On.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the advice however that was the first thing I did . I have been working through several Mac forums and I've done a heap of things to try and resolve the problem. every time I restart the computer it automatically turns on the bluetooth and I get the message Bluetooth setup even though I have switched it off before restart . It just keeps searching for the connection. It wont allow me to shut down window I need to go into Force quit to remove it.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Did you try this:

Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility and select your hard drive on the left. On the right click Verify Disk. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay just doing that now will get back to you as you now this takes a few minutes ...
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If that is OK then go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences and trash this file: and restart
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
done alll that still not working removed the file do i need to do reboot to get it to work I restart still no response will try a reboot.Its very sleepy on the reboot takes 3-4 goes to get it to start
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Yes restart
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did a restart and still not working . Im now so frustrated Im reloading snow leopard to alleviate any corrupted files however the disk repair did nothing so after this Im not sure of what could be wrong
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
By did nothing do you mean Disk Utility found no errors? You rebooted and it is the same problem Bluetooth is on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I was not clear the bluetooth assistant has stopped trying to connect however the keyboard is still not working so I thought it best to reload snow leopard just to try and eliminate all possibilities. I read on some of the forums that after the machine comes out of sleep mode this can happen ....this is exactly what happened to my machine. there seems to be some Mac problems which are showing the same symptoms as my machine, thats why I have started a reinstall.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK that would have been my last resort. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry Mike nothing seems to have worked. It looks like it might be a hardware problem and I might have to to take it to a techie to check the keyboard out.Thank you for your help
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK good luck