Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Replaced HD in imac after crash. Have restore discs for Tiger.

Replaced HD in imac after crash. Have restore discs for Tiger. TM backup was done on Leopard upgrade. Do I load tiger first, restore from TM then upgrade to leopard?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
You should not have to install Tiger first. I suggest giving it a try because there is nothing to lose.
Make sure that the new HD is formatted with Disk Utility from whichever OS install disc you use.
I think (I could be wrong) the upgrade disc has the whole thing on it for an install, it used to be with pre OS X an upgrade disc was just that and would not do the whole thing but OS X changed that.
Like I sad try it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need to install Tiger first, because Leopard is just an upgrade. When I load Leopard after Tiger I don't get the opportunity to restore from a backup. Will TM bring Leopard with it?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Leopard has TM Tiger doesn't. It will restore with Migration assistant but as TM is not the same it will not use it.
The easy way is to go ahead and do the upgrade to Leopard and then Use Migration Assistant to restore from TM.
You will find that app in Applications/Utilities.
If you need more clarification just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will any TM backup restore from Migration assistant, or do I need a "Full" backup? Yesterday I tried to restore from Disk Utility and only one TM backup appeared, and it was a year old.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Disk Utility and TM are two different animals.
Migration Assistant will let you choose what TM disc (as long as they are connected) to restore from and will use the most recent backup.
Tiger can't read TM as a restore source, Leopard can.
Did you try just using the 10.5 disc to do the install? That (if I am correct and it will do a full install) will restore from the TM before any user info is needed to continue.
Saves a lot of hoop jumping.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try using 10.5 first tonight & let you know.

Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That is what I am here for.