Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I tried to download Skype to my MAC OS X to my applications.

Customer Question

I tried to download Skype to my MAC OS X to my applications. But when I click on the ICON in Applications folder, It just goes back to page where I move the Skype Icon to the Applications folder. It also does not appear in my application menu at the bottom of the screen. Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Drag that dmg icon out to the desktop. It is what is called a disk image and mounts a virtual disk on your desktop. Now double click that and drag the Skype application not the DMG to your Applications folder. That is your application
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Did that work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is DMG? I do have a icon of a disk drive on my desk top after I download it. When I click on that it gives me a blue disk drive on my desk top. When I clicked that I got the box to drag the blue skype icon to the Applications. It says it copied it but when I try to open the icon in my applications folder, nothing happens. I get the blue icon bounce on my menu at the bottom but it bounces and disappears.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The file was called Skype_2.8.0.851.dmg, correct? That is a .dmg file extension which indicates a disk image, that mounts when you double click. It sounds like you copied it correctly so now you have the application called Skype in your Applications folder. Drag that to your Dock if you want to access easily. Try restarting first if it still won‘t open try this:

Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility and select your hard drive on the left. On the right click Verify Disk. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions.

If it still won;t open send me this info:

Click on the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, on the drop down go to About this Mac and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.