Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

can not connect to wi-fi get message cannot connect to the

can not connect to wi-fi get message cannot connect to the server on my ipod touch.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
When do you get this message in Safari or what?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My Mac is running airport and I have a strong connection on on my mac and on my ipod touch. i am using a linksys router but i keep getting a message that cannot connect to the service. i have already contacted apple and they say that my wi-fi has a connection
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I am asking WHERE are you getting this message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get the message when I try to open safari or go to any web page.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Does the inernet on the iPod work with anything, say iTunes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it does not connect to the internet no matter what site I try to connect to.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Go to Settings/WiFi. Is your Network selected and does it have a lock and a little cone next to it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it does not have a lock it has a check mark next to Linkys with 3 bars
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Click on the little arrow to the right and what does it say under DHCP?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it showing the ip address, subnet mask, router, dns, searh domains, and client id
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Right, what are those numbers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ip 192.168.1.101
subnet 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Go to the Mac that is working and go to System Preferences/Network/TCP/IP and tell me what those numbers are.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ip 192.168.1.100
subnet 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.1.1
no dns number
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
And that computer can connect to the Internet, right? Do you have the latest Firmware on the iPod? If not install it with iTunes, If so try turning it off and back on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not know if I have the lates firmware installed. I just purchased by ipod 2 week ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Plug it in and open iTunes. Click on the iPod in iTunes and Check for Update.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are no new updates.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Go back in to Settings/WiFI select your Network click on the arrow and then hit Forget this Network. Then try to connect to it again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I try it and I get a message that reads "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding."
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The desktop Mac connects to the inernet fine right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I am currently connect via ethernet and I am also connect to airport
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What computer is connected to Airport besides the iPod?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my mac but the enternet is running on the ethernet connection
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I’m confused. You said earlier “My Mac is running airport and I have a strong connection on on my mac“. Now you say it is connected through Ethernet? Is any other machine successfully using your WiFi connection?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my mac is running airport and ethernet. I have airport so I can use my wi-fi to connect to my ipod. i am using the ethernet connection to connect my mac to the internet. Their are no other machines connected to my mac except my router.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
So your router is a Linksys and it is not wireless, it is just plugged into the Mac? You are trying to share your Ethernet connection to your iPod through the Mac, is this correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I am trying to connect to my ipod through airport connection. I was told by apple that if I have a router I can connect to wi-fi through airport
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Is your Linksys router a wireless model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is a wireless-g broadband router
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Who setup the router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did. I am going to sign off know. I know my issue has not been resolved, but I think you should still get paid for your time.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate it but I’m sure we can fix it. You need to look at the settings in the router, make sure allow wireless connections is turned on and you should also turn encryption on so others can’t use your connection or see what you are doing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just don't have anymore time to troubleshoot
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK, good luck don’t get frustrated. You also can turn off Airport on the Mac you don’t need it if you are connecting through the router. It may be screwing things up.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.