Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

EVERYTHING ON MY MAC BOOK WORKS EXCEPT MY MAIL. I PUSH MAIL

Customer Question

EVERYTHING ON MY MAC BOOK WORKS EXCEPT MY MAIL. I PUSH MAIL AND NOTHING HAPPENS.                    HOW CAN YOU ANSWER ME WHEN MY EMAIL DOESN'T WORK?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
Could you please turn the caps off? I really don't like being yelled at.
Can you tell me what version Mac OS X you have? This will help me diagnose the problem.
I could also use what version of Mail it is, (this is the Mail app in the dock?).
What email service you have? RoadRunner, Gmail, AOL etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a new mac book purchased about 6 months ago,We use AOL My husbands office in the house uses aol. and i use mac. the wireless system works from his office. does this make any sence? Also does it make any sense that i use mobile me?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
This is your first Mac?
The first thing to do is restart the machine from the Apple menu, this will fix many small issues like this.
The second thing to do is Repair Permissions. Do this with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities.
graphic

Below is why the Permissions need to be repaired.

Think of your computer as a set of file cabinets in an office with a private file cabinet for each employee, call then Chris and Sue.

Each employee's cabinet is locked, unless they grant specific access to drawers inside the cabinet. Each persons private cabinet has a public outbox where anyone can see what is inside but can not put any thing in, a public inbox where anyone can put files, and an open 'shared' place where files that can be used by all.

There are three categories of users for each cabinet:

1- The owner.

2- Group members and guests who have access to one or more drawers inside the cabinet.

3- Others who have access to the in and out boxes but no access to the owners drawers.

You use these categories to define Read and Write, Read only, or no access.

Repairing permissions makes sure that the correct people and applications have the correct access to the cabinets.

If these get changed (software updates do do this) or corrupted then things go where they are not supposed to and it can mean applications won't launch or run or not preform correctly.

This is especially true with system updates because if the update info goes to the wrong place it can lead to a total system crash.

This holds true even if you are the only user.

Do that and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did the disk utility repair section but saw the following:
149.1 GB Hitachi
mcintosh HD 27.9
bjjpotter.dmg
duplicate annihilator.dmg
We could save a lot of time if you just called me on my cell phone XXX-XXX-XXXX