Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have performed two clean installs of Snow Leopard on a new

I have performed two clean installs of Snow Leopard on a new HD (Seagate ST9500420AS 500GB 7500rpm SATA) installed in my unibody 17" MBP (currently @ OS X 10.6.2; 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo; 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3). For the first install, I used the migration assistant to port Apps and settings over from my old drive. After the install, I had issues with the MBP not staying asleep for > 3 seconds before waking up and not staying shut down for > 1 second before it reboots. The only way to shut down is a hard shut down using the power button after an OS shut down.

I then performed a second fresh install without using the migration assistant. Same problem exists.

I have scoured the internet for solutions and have attempted the following so far:
1) Reset PRAM and SMC;
2) Repaired permissions from Local OX and from install disk;
3) Trashed HD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ and user/Library/Preferences/ | emptied the trash;
4) Added a sceduled event under Energy Saver;
5) Ran almost every script in Onyx 2.1.4;

Nothing has worked so far. Snow leopard worked fine on this machine before the HD update.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If you still have your data somewhere else I would do a clean install by booting from the install disk and before install use the Disk Utility in the menu to Erase the drive and in Options Zero Out Data. Then install.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
While your answer will likely work, it is akin to declaring global thermo-nuclear war. It may get rid of my problem, but maybe there is a intermediate step, like additional sanctions or conventional warfare you could suggest first?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You’ve installed so many times I really think this is the way to do it. I always zero out the dats on new drives even though they are supposed to be OK. It maps out any bad sectors but will take a few hours.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could I superduper to an external drive; zero the current drive; and then superduper back?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Yes but if the problem is with the installation that won’t help. I would SuprDuper the whole drive, then migrate the accounts back with Migration Assistant after making sure the problem is gone.