Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I upgraded from Mac OS X 3.9 to 10.4 and now my Iomega usb

I upgraded from Mac OS X 3.9 to 10.4 and now my Iomega usb desk drive no longer mounts. Iomega is no help. They said reload my usb, but when I upgraded my System that should've reloaded my usb. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Run Software Update under the Apple logo
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done that and the response is that there is no software to update.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK click on the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, on the drop down go to About this Mac and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
System 10.4.11 (I did not upgrade further because I want to run Classic)
processor 1.8 GHz Powerpc G5
mem 768 MB DDR SDRAM
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok... now turn off the computer and external drive, unplug the drive from both and plug back in. Turn on the drive and start the computer. Then go to About this Mac / More info / under Hardware on the left click on USB. Does your Iomega drive show up on the right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, all it recognizes is the mouse and keyboard. Can't very well unplug those. I have a usb printer, but I unplugged that the other day and tried the desk drive in that usb port, and the Mac still didn't see it. It was showing up fine with OS 3.9. I checked the Iomega site for a driver, but guess this drive I bought 4 years ago is already "old".
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have another Mac you can try it on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wish I did. Back when I used to work with OS 9 there were ways to make a Mac mount an unknown drive, but can't find anything like that in OS 10. By the way, the desk drive recognizes the usb, because the light comes on when I plug it into the usb.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What drive is this? It has a power plug? I have never seen a drive light go on when plugged into USB unless it was USB powered, are you sure it’s on? I know.. Stupid question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its an 80 GB Iomega desk drive. The way it has always worked, is connected to power, when plugged into the usb, light would come on and it would mount on the desktop. When I was finished with it, I would drag the icon to the trash, unplug the drive from the usb, then turn off the desk drive on the back of the drive, leaving it plugged into power. Then whenever I'd connect it to the usb, it would come back on. I've tried turning it off and back on while connected to the usb, but that didn't help.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I assume you have tried other USB ports? This is plugged directly into the computer right not the keyboard?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I'm plugging it into the usb in the front of the Mac. But, I also tried it on the usb port on the back that I usually use for my printer, and it didn't work there either. This was purchased in 2005. While I was waiting for your answer I inserted the Iomega cd and noticed it said System requirements OS 8.6 to 10.2.1, but it worked fine with System 10.3.9. I really feel like Iomega should be more help with this.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
It should work. Let me do a little more research and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Try this:

I would take out any extra ram and just leave in Apple's. Go in to Open firmware and reset PRAM.

Restart:
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys until you hear the chime three times then let go of the keys.

Restart again:

To access Open Firmware press and hold Command-Option -O-F

At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram

Press Return.

At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Omigosh! I haven't done anything like this in years! I'll just ask the stupid question, "How do I Open firmware?"
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Restart, then press and hold Command - Option - O - F

Press Return.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for being such a dummy. You had the instructions right there. I have now reset the PRAM. I have reinserted the cd that came with the desk drive and it scanned my system, but still no icon showing up on my desktop.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The important thing to look at is the USB tab in More Info from earlier. If it doesn’t show up there then the machine is not seeing the device at all. Disk Utility same thing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's correct. The Mac is just not recognizing the desk drive at all. It doesn't show as a usb connection, nor does Disk Utility see it.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If you boot from your 10.4 install disk with the USB drive connected does it show up in the select drive window? If it does there is something wrong with the installation. You should reinstall on your internal HD and do an Archive and Install keeping all your settings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the drive does not show up in the select drive window when I boot from the installation disk.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I would still try to reinstall using Archive and install. You just upgraded before, correct?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Make sure you check the drive with the Disk Utiltity in the Menu of the installation before installing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's correct. By the way, that same usb port works fine when I plug in my scanner or my flash drive. But I will archive and reinstall my system.

Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, that didn't help. I'm about ready to give up.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have been reading about a lot of problems with Iomega drives and you are right they should have helped you more. I hate to say try 10.5 as I know you want to use Classic, but that may be the only option. What program are you still wanting to use that requires Classic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Programs that I'm familiar with, like PageMaker, which my church still has and I do volunteer stuff for them. Illustrator 6 that I just like to play around with, Print Explosion, Quicken, etc., etc. Hey, I'm just a retired home user and can't afford a lot of upgrades. I just hate to lose all the photos and artwork I had stored on that drive.

Well, you've done your best. Unless you can think of something else, I'll click Accept Answer so you can get paid and just write it off to experience. I got a pack of rewritable DVDs the other day, so I can just store stuff on them in the future.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Well I hate to leave you lke this but my only other suggestion would be take it to another Mac that is newer and see if can read it and burn it all to DVD.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.