Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have tried twice to download Skype for Mac. I cant remember

Customer Question

I have tried twice to download Skype for Mac. I can't remember the Skype name or password XXXXX I can't open the Skype through applications. Obviously I don't know what I am doing. HELP!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.

goto below link and click on forgot password

https://secure.skype.com/account/login?message=login_required
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still can't get to a sign in page when I try to open Skype through applications.
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.
What is the error message ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I try to open Skype through the applications I just get the window showing Skype folder to applications folder. Nothing more happens.
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.
OK

goto below and redownload skype

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am doing that as I write and I have the password XXXXX Skype name now. I am using Yahoo. Is that a problem?
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.
No

you can use both

you can follow the below link

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/downloading/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I have downloaded for the third time and all I get is a picture of the Skype folder with an arrow to the applications folder and nothing happens when I move the Skype to applications.
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.
Ok

I am out of ideas ...

I will opt out so that other experts will help yu
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need to reach expert Satchi
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I ahve already opted out bcoz i am out of ideas now
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Who can help me and am I being charged on my card since this was not solved?
Expert:  sjena1982 replied 4 years ago.
Be online till other experts contact you
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

Is this the first time you are using Skype ? When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to know if my card is being charged since Satchi opted out with no more suggestions. How am I supposed to get Skype running on my Mac?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Since you made an deposit to unlock answers, yes your card is charged. Don't worry, its fully refundable if you are not satisfied with our answer.OK... I'd try to help to solve your issue.

Close Skype if it is opened. Then Go to Macintosh HD > Users > username > Library > Preferences folder and move com.skype.skype.plist to desktop.

Open Skype, let me know if that works or not.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried this and could not find the com.skype.skype.plist
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Serach the file with Spotlight, also trash the folder Skype from Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not working. What now
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Did you trashed those files ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
In that case, we can uninstall Skype and its related files completely and reinstall it. Download and install CleanApp from here, uninstall Skype with CleanApp, restart your mac and reinstall Skype.

(Just use the trial version of CleanApp to remove skype)

CleanApp : How to Uninstall

If that didn't worked, i have two more suggestions to try..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going to start completely from scratch and open a new account. Thanks anyway for trying.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Thats my next suggestion, There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So you can try to create new account and see if that helps or not.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password and Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.
  • Installl skype
If that worked, You can copy your old account's files into new account.
So goto ~/Users/[youroldaccount]/ and copy all important files like Pictures, iTunes music, Documents and everything except Library folder into ~/Users/[yournewaccount/.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can handle the rest from here. I know how to set up with a new account. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Last suggestion...Run Disk Utility in your old account and then try skype, may be that can solve the problem.

If that didn't worked, you can use new account. Since i couldn't solve you problem, you don't have to accept the answer.

Have a great day,

Edited by Ashik on 3/1/2010 at 8:01 PM EST