Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My mac keeps crashing if it is on awhile without my using it

My mac keeps crashing if it is on awhile without my using it and is also slow. I recently downloaded the newest OSX onto it- Leopard and asn't worked right since. It is an iMac5,1, intel core 2 duo, 2.16 processor speed, l2 cach: 4 MB, memory 1 gb. It says it has a capacity of 249.72 GB, with 140.72 GB. I emailed someone a word document last week that she thought had a virus on it.
Go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought it was in the first email - (I recently downloaded the newest OSX onto it- Leopard and sn't worked right since. It is an iMac5,1, intel core 2 duo, 2.16 processor speed, l2 cach: 4 MB, memory 1 gb. It says it has a capacity of 249.72 GB, with 140.72 GB.i)
Version:10.6.2; Proc: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory: 1 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
You could use more RAM with Snow Leopard. You only have 1 GB but it should still work OK just slower. Try this:

Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility and select your hard drive on the left. On the right click Verify Disk. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not sure if this helped, now I can't get my wireless keyboard to work and with a password XXXXX computer, I can't get on to check if this made my computer any faster. I will need to borrow a keyboard to get on and haven't had time yet
So Verify Disk said it was OK and you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes.
What kind of keyboard is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
White, with numbers, wirelss Mac.
Does the mouse work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Go to System Preferences/Bluetooth highlight the keyboard and click the minus sign. Turn the keyboard off and then back on. Click the plus sign to add it back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think I accidently hit a button that sends my problem to more "experts" which I did not mean to do as working with Mike is good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't get into the computer as it is password XXXXX I guess I need to borrow someone's keyboard todo that.
Oh yes you will need to do that then.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have time to work on this tomorrow -
OK let me know.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, i've been sick in bed all week. keyboard does not work, am using virtual 1. can't tell how fast mac works now. permss's andrepair good
Not sure what you mean.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cannot use my wireless keyboard since I had the permissions and repair of permissions run - it does not recognize my keyboard.
I thought you were going to borrow one? You can use the mouse right?

To use Bluetooth Setup Assistant:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Bluetooth.

Click Devices, and then click Set Up New Device.

Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your keyboard or mouse.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 3/19/2010 at 8:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i borrowed 1 4 a nite +took off password XXXXX -now using keybrd on scrn - point + click. blue tooth new device does not find keybd. also turned on + off - --+ new batteries. new keybrd - keeps searching but does not find it
Turn keyboard off and back on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no change
You followed these directions and you can't see the keyboard?

To use Bluetooth Setup Assistant:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is no device choice on menu. on +discoverable boxes checked, shows mouse connected. + click shows wecum set up assist - does not find keybd.
syst pref/ keybd/set up bluth kybd - no keybd found
Turn off keyboard take out batteries and make sure they are in correctly. Put them back turn it on and try again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i just did. now sees but won't pair. gave a passcode
Keep trying it should work. If not go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences trash file com.apple.bluetooth.plist restart and try again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does work now and computer is faster. Thanks - sorry it took so long
Ok great!!!