Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MacBook Pro (17 ) started acting strange recently so I shut

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro (17") started acting strange recently so I shut it down (using shutdown from the apple icon menu) and now when I try to turn it on I get a grey screen, apple icon, spinning gear and then it restarts, over and over again. I can't seem to locate my original installation disc. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You can try to restart holding down Option / Command / P / R until you hear the chime three times then let go of the keys. If that does nothing you really need the original disk.

Go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how can I go to the Apple Logo on the upper left of the screen if I can't get the ting started?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Duh, sorry, got confused. You really need the system disk. Do you know what system your were using?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You have to have a system disk for the system you are using to do this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay Mike, Long time no hear!

I have the system disk however I can't seem to get past a grey screen that alternates between an icon of a padlock with a ? in the middle and a twirling globe. If you can give me the answer to how I get the laptop started I'm happy to pay 2x what I offered a year AGO

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Make sure it is off first. Hold in the power button for about 10 seconds with the disk in the drive then start it holding the C key.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello????
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry Mike, Your suggestion didn't help so I took it to apple - and didn't think to reply to say pressing C wasn't working. But I have a new Q regarding my HP ProBook. Can I ask you that or are you strictly a jack-of-all-MAC Q's?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Are you kidding me? Goodbye.