iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Hi - I recently purchased the new quad core imac and want

Customer Question

Hi -

I recently purchased the new quad core imac and want to transfer all my data from my macbook air onto the new imac. it seems to be very difficult to use wireless migration assistant (drops out etc) and i cant find a usb to firewire convertor that I can purchase to do it via cable.

Also, I don't really need the profile details from the macAir, I just want itunes, iphone data, photos and that is it.

Is bluetooth transfer the easiest route??

Many thanks experts!
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , I would like to assist you with this task .

Blue tooth file transfer is not an option for large files.

The best and most easy way to move files from one computer to the other is using a USB external HDD or USB memory stick 8GB or 16GB kingston etc pen drive would do the job nicely .

You can also use an Ethernet network or Wifi network connection ,
Wifi networking is ok for smaller files.
You can use the optional USB / Ethernet adapter apple part number : MB442Z/A
for Ethernet networking .

If you need any extra info please ask .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 3/1/2010 at 11:47 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah I thought the flashkey might be best, XXXXX XXXXX that result in seemless iTunes and iPhone supper and transfer?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Yes and No ,

You will have to setup your new Mac with your old itunes account .
Copy the music over , you can share music between Mac in the Home ok .
I think its up to 5 Macs in one home , but you need to sync via network .
You could copy all your Music on to the new Mac Via USB ad then setup the itunes library after . Be careful not to create duplicates when you do this .

There are instructions to setup music sharing and more on the Apple website or look in help on the itunes help menu .

Its not as much of a problem for non downloaded or purchased music via the itunes store . As these files wont have DRM , you can upgrade older itunes music files to HQ sound that are free from DRM for a small charge . See the itunes store and your purchases on the store , on the Mac book pro before you start , it could makes things more simple if you music files are the old standard MP3 with DRM or AAC with DRM .
If you need any extra help please let me know .

Thanks .