Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I just spilt water on my mac book what do i do

Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thats not good! =[ Any liquids are very harmful to computers. What you need to do is shut it down immediately, unplug it from the AC and remove the battery (if it's removable). Turn the MacBook upside down and shake it gently and turn it in different directions while it's upside down to allow any liquids to come out. If you have a hair dryer, you can try using it on a low cool setting (not hot!) for a little bit. After this, let the computer sit, unplugged for at least 24 hours so that it has time to fully air dry. Don't use it until at least 24 hours have passed.

When enough time has passed, you can try turning it on and seeing if it will come up. There are absolutely no guarantees that it will work after a liquid spill. You may notice some keys don't work, trackpad may not work, etc. If that is the case, you will need to get those components replaced. Liquid damage is not covered under Apple warranty as it is considered user abuse. I believe it actually voids the warranty all together but I'm not entirely sure.

Hope this information is helpful and good luck!

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can she take the computer apart to jelp air dry faster
If you have the tools to do so, it may help but I wouldn't suggest using the computer for at least 24 hours. If you use the computer while there is water still inside, it can damage critical parts and may prevent you from being able to use the computer at all and you may be unable to retrieve your data.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will she be able to get all of her papers and things out of hard drive. She has applied to graduate school and has papers and information on her computer. She is in a panic.
There is no guarantee that the computer will work after a water spill. Depending on how much water was spilled, it may work. If worse comes to worse, you may be able to take the drive out and put it into a external enclosure to at lease get the data off of it. As long as you give the computer plenty of time to dry, the chances of it working will increase.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm