Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I have a 13 Macbook purchased in 2007 (running OS X Version

I have a 13" Macbook purchased in 2007 (running OS X Version 10.4.11) that has Final Cut Express HD installed on it. I believe that I can capture DV from a digital device using a basic Firewire connection, but I have someone who wants me to capture footage from a BetaSP analog deck. I am wondering what external hardware I would need to purchase in order to make that happen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
What kind of cameras do you use? I ask because Sony cameras will convert Composite video to firewire. Meaning you can hook your BetaSP to the composite connections on the camera, put the camera in VTR mode, and capture the footage. You'll have to manually capture using Capture Now as no timecode will be passed to the computer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't deal with the camera because my boss is the cameraman and he just hands off the BetaSP tapes and the deck to me, but I believe he uses a Panasonic. I used to edit on a PC and the composite cables from the deck connected to a digital conversion box with RCA hookups, and then from the box to the computer with Firewire.

Unfortunately, i's not really that feasible for me to take both the deck and my boss' camera equipment each time I need to capture, so I guess what I am trying to find out is if there's an external digital conversion box (I don't know if that terminology is right, so forgive me if it's not!) that they make for MacBooks. I've found information on the AJA for MacBook Pro, but not anything for a MacBook.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Looks like this device does what you're asking:

It wasn't the only one I found in doing a quick search, but it says its compatible with Final Cut.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
This vendor has the same product in stock: