Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I have a new imac to replace an older one that was having a

I have a new imac to replace an older one that was having a problem with hanging up.
They both run Snow Leopard.
I have Time Machine on the old one.
I don't want to start up the new one until I know how I can safely transfer all of my old files including applications.
Can you help?
Bob Dussault
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a firewire cable? It looks like this:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Is your time machine stored on an external drive? If so, you can connect the external drive to your new computer and start it up. During setup, your computer will ask you if you want to import data. You can tell it to import from the Time Machine backup. I'm not sure if all the applications will be imported, but the user profiles, documents, music, etc will. You may need to reinstall some of the applications.

I asked about the firewire cable because it is possible to import the data directly from your old iMac if you have one. However, the time machine restore should work just as well. Your data will still be preserved on your old iMac so go ahead and fire up that new machine!