iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

When I hit F12, F11, or F10 I dont get any sound control on

Customer Question

When I hit F12, F11, or F10 I don't get any sound control on my wireless keyboard for the 27" iMac. The screen displays dashboard items when I hit F12. When I hit F10, the window moves off to the left of the screen, out of view. When I hit F10, The display shows two pages and smaller.
I've had the iMAC 27" since December 2009.

Joe Austin
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,
I would like to assist you with this problem .

1 Please can you open the Apple menu / System preferences and click on the "Keyboard" control panel pane.

2 Please make sure the setting "Use all F1 , F2 , etc keys as standard function keys" is checked off.

3 Click on the Keyboard shortcuts Tab.

4 Click on each item in the left hand columns to select each OSX Keyboard shortcut settings.

5 When selecting each set of Keyboard shortcuts as in step 4 , please click on "Restore defaults" for each in turn.

6 All Mac OS standard keyboard shortcut settings have now been Defaulted.

7 Close the control panel pane.

8 Test your volume F key controls.

Please let me know if this has worked.

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 2/17/2010 at 10:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX still have the same problem. Nothing changed.

Joe Austin
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Ok ,

please open the Sound control panel in System preferences .

Please tick the Show volume in Menu bar option on.

Please make sure Use Built in speaker or headphones or Built-in output is selected for an audio output in the output tab. i.e not digital out or other settings .

Please go to the System preferences control panel Universal access .
Un-check Enable access for assistive devices .

Close the control panel.

Please let me know if you can adjust the sound volume via the top menu sound control slider that is now in the menu bar and or with the F keys.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still the same problem. The Enable access for assistive devices was already de-activated. I can't locate the sound control slider. Would it make a difference if I did? The F keys are still the same.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
The sound volume should be on the top bar near the time and date and spot light menu bar options .

It looks like a speaker icon , click on it and adjust the volume to check sound volume operation .

Please tell me exactly what the volume F keys for sound control are doing?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I spaced out on the slider control location. It's set at mid range. When I hit F10 Safari appears smaller and two pages, one on top of the other on the screen. If I hit F11, the web page slides to the left out of view until I hit F10 again, the web page slides back to the right in full view. When I hit F12, dashboard items, weather, time, calander, etc show until I hit F12 again.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Ok ,

it sounds like the F keys have been configured in Expose and spaces.

Please go to the System preferences control panel and to the Expose and spaces control panel pane .

Use the Tabs for Expose and spaces to go between the settings for each .

You will see F key settings selected for the controls there in the lower panel these can override the other sound settings controls if a F key is used .

Use the menus to select F keys other than the volume control keys or none "-".

It is better to configure the Expose and spaces to use top corners for easy access instead of F keys normally set to F3 , F4 , F5 , F6 on a apple wireless keyboard , "new version" .

I set expose to use :-
Top left corner spaces , top right corner all windows , bottom left Dash board , bottom right start screen saver is a nice way to work with the Expose and spaces options.

Once setup flick your mouse to each corner to invoke the settings applied.

Try enabling spaces for extra virtual screens , once you use it you´l never go back.
I use up to 16 screens while i work . 6 screens is a good place to start .

Thanks , please let me know if this works ok .

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 2/18/2010 at 1:15 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible to continue this Tomorrow, Thursday? I'm really tired this evening and can't concentrate.
Thanks
Please let me know.

Joe Austin
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Ok no problem .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got it set up like your last instruction. 3 corners work but I don't have "Top left corner spaces."

Now the F10, F11 & F12 don't do anything.

I just tried the brightness keys, F1 and F2. I had not used them before. When I hit F1 or F2,the two web pages I have open, appear, one on top of the other and smaller.
F3 takes the web pages to the left and off the screen. F4 does nothing, F5 brings up dashboard. F6, F7 does nothing. F8 splits the screen in four. F9 does nothing.
Could there be some other major problem in the assembly of this unit at the factory?
I'm not real computer savey. What should I do at this point?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
You probably find that spaces is turned off , and that's why its not working with the top left corner .

Just go into the Spaces tab of expose and spaces and turn it on "Enable spaces",
and have a look , don't be afraid to make changes to shortcuts and settings for expose and spaces , that's what there there for , you set them up how you like them .

If you don't need the virtual screens just turn of all the shortcuts for F keys to "-" or nothing selected.

You can try making a new user account , all the settings will then be default .
You can login to the new user a see what settings you need to change in your old user account and see the changes things make.

To make a new user account , Go to System preference , Accounts , and unlock the pad lock with your login password.

Add a new admin user account using the + button .
Check allow user the administer this computer.

Then logout or restart and login to the new user .

You need to make sure that the Automatic logon is set to off in the login options section within accounts or your Mac will login to your old Account .

All the settings for keyboard shortcuts and F keys are user configurable ,
do you have a new style apple keyboard "wireless" with no numeric keypad ?

If so the pictures on the F keys are present , F4 should be dashboard the symbol on the key is a small rev counter or oil gauge . F5 and F6 have nothing printed on them .
F1 & F2 have brightness pictures , but only work with the correct displays plugged in .
You can change any of the keys to anything you want .

Many of the settings are in System preferences keyboard control panel / keyboard shortcuts tab . and expose and spaces control panel .

Is your keyboard setup correctly for location ?
i.e does the $ sign and other symbols such as @ and ? % reproduce the correct symbols when typed ?

If there is a problem with a preference file , then deleting the file in your Mac HD :-
users/your user/library/preferences file name :- com.apple.systempreferences.plist
can solve the problem .

The volume F keys and itunes fast forward play etc are hardwired to the keys normally , if a second function is mapped to the same F key it may override the hard wired F key setting , the control panel normally shows this with a yellow symbol to indicate that a short cut key has been set up more than once for the same F key etc.

I hope this helps .

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 2/18/2010 at 7:48 PM EST
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Making a new user account worked. Now the keys operate correctly. It's like a new computer! Should I now go back to the Keyboard in systems preferences and restore defaults? I didn't go into preference files since it apparently wasn't necessary.
I do have the new style wireless keyboard without numeric keypad. The keyboard setup works correctly, $, @, ? and %.

Let me know if I should restore the preferences and I believe You've solved the problem for me!
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Good news :)

Plan a:
If you want to continue using the new user , just move your files over in to the new users account , or backup to DVD all your documents etc from the old account.

Once you have all your stuff backed up for the old user , move your files to the new users documents folder as you wish.

You can delete the old user once your happy you have all your documents in system preference , accounts control panel , just unlock the pad lock , and use the "-" button minus , to remove a user that is selected in the users name list .

You can setup the new users Shortcuts over the default settings as you wish , experiment with the controls.
The new users keyboard shortcut settings are already default btw you don't need to default them lol.

You can also setup screen zooming in the Universal access control panel for shortcuts . i.e handy!!

Plan b:
Deleting the pref file mentioned for the old user account may default the user keyboard shortcut settings.

Do you need anymore info on removing the old user for plan a?

Thanks .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here's what I found that corrected the F key problem. Under system preferences, keyboard, I unchecked "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys." That restored the F function keys to operate as icons indicated.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Yes,
thats the standard option , when the option is checked the F keys can still be used as is , or toggled by holding the Fn key while pressing the F key you need , giving two complete sets of F keys at hand .

Thanks.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.

nice demo:)