Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I have a g4 powerbook with itunes, and I have 457 GB of music

I have a g4 powerbook with itunes, and I have 457 GB of music files on an external hard drive (it's where i keep all my itunes files). If I get a new intel-based macbook pro, can I still use the external hard drive with all my itunes files on it even it its formatted for for a powerbook? If not, what's the easiest way to get all those files on to an external hard drive formatted for an inte-based mac?
Yes, the Mac File system has not really changed. There is a new partition table, but this applies only to the boot drive of an Intel Mac. So, you won't be able to use your external drive for booting the computer without reformatting, but it will work just fine for external storage.