Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

Hi, I have a Mac G5 (pre-intel)... I have gray screen upon

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Mac G5 (pre-intel)... I have gray screen upon start up... I've tried the reset... tried to boot from CD (Tiger 10.4.-)... tried to zap the PRAM... tried to boot from other HD... tried to boot from Open Firmware (I can get into the OF screen and type the boot command, but then it asks for a password... my system password XXXXX work)...

I'm stumped... any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You're open firmware has a password XXXXX on it. If you don't know the password, you will need to follow this procedure to change it:

1. Shut down your iMac and disconnect the power
2. Open the iMac and change the amount of RAM by either adding another DIMM, or removing one of the two that are in there
3. Reconnect the power and boot the system and reset the PRAM 3 times
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK... we got around the password XXXXX Open Firmware. I was able to reset the NVRAM and set back to defaults and reset all in OF (that's the extent of what I know about OF). Finally, I was able to get it to boot from the installer disk. I am in the middle of repairing permissions and disk structures... had to bail out twice as the process froze up. Thank you... I will accept the answer and pay...
Please... any more advice?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
It depends on what the result is from the repairing permissions. Its very odd for that process to freeze up when you have booted from the install disc. Did it find errors on your disc? Was it able to repair them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There were many permissions that were repaired... the HD showed no problems. I ran the repair permissions again and it found more to repair... now it seems to be working fine.
This was a very strange problem... I've tried to pinpoint the cause... when I was dumping about 3 Gigs of stuff from a USB drive, it all locked up. I did a hard shut down, and when I tried to reboot... the starting Mac OS X screen stayed up frozen on the front while everything else behind it worked... I restarted again... then the gray screen stuff...
This is a new one on me. Thanks again.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
It happens sometimes, things get corrupted occasionally. Fortunately for you the software was able to correct it. If you haven't been making regular backups, hopefully this serves as a bit of a wake-up call to start doing so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes... thanks. I discovered in all of this that my auto backup system wasn't doing its stuff... I will need to work on it.
Thanks.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
That's good. I have to fix my backup as well. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.