Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I just downloaded Internet Cleanup 5.0 from Tech Smith. After

Customer Question

I just downloaded Internet Cleanup 5.0 from Tech Smith. After installing I was told to reboot. After rebooting I first get a folder with a question mark and the the spinner. After a while I get like a round sing with a diagonal line at a 45 degree angle.........and it stays there. The spinner is spinning but it never boots up.
Any idea what to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
What kind of Mac is this? Do you know what versin of OS X you are running? Do you have your system install disc handy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is an old PowerMach G4 and the version is 10.5.8 I think. It will take some work to get the install CD.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
You're going to need the install discs. I'm not sure what's going on, but its clear that your computer is having trouble finding the boot drive. You need to get ahold of an OS 10.5 (Leopard) installation disc, and then boot the computer from that disc by doing the following:

1. Power the machine on
2. Immediately place the Leopard disc in the DVD drive and start holding the letter "c" down on your keyboard
3. Continue holding "c" until the machine starts to boot (When you see the Apple logo)

After it boots, select your language then move the the next screen. At the top of the window you will see a menu called "Utilities". Click on this menu and choose "Disk Utility". When that launches, select your hard drive and click "repair disk". Let me know if that works.

As a side note, I have never seen a practical use for internet cleanup tools for Mac OS. Those tools are generally for cleanup of spyware and adware; an issue which the Mac OS doesn't have many problems with at this time. I wouldn't run any program like that in the future unless you have been advised to do so by a technical professional who works with Macs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would I be able to use the restore CD for my iMac G5? I did find that CD.
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
No, the ones that are included with a new computer are locked to certain models. You need a retail version of the Leopard install Disk. If you don't have one, you might be able to purchase one from a local computer store that does work on Macs or find a source online for it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just ordered one from Apple for $16.00. I think that should do it. I will get back to you as soon as I get the disk.

Thanks
Leif
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Ok, sounds good. Hopefully my first suggestion will fix the problem.