Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

Im trying to view my movies in both Quicktime and iMovie HD

I'm trying to view my movies in both Quicktime and iMovie HD and having problems with both. When I open in iMovie, the project says "loading" and then there's just a black screen - no audio or video. When I load into Quicktime, I have audio but no video! Please help! I have an iBook G4 and have not had problems with either application before.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Do you need to watch the movies or edit them? It sounds like these are not Quicktime files.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your quick response. Ideally, I need to edit the movies, but since I'm on a deadline if I run out of time I at least need to be able to view them and export to a file format that's small enough to put on a disk or thumbdrive.

There are two sets of files, and both end with .mov.

I didn't think they were Quicktime files either, but when I double click on the new files, they open automatically in Quicktime and the audio plays, but not the video. When I try to open the new files in a different application, the iMovie application is gray, not black (as in "not recommended") and when I try to open in iMovie anyway, iMovie opens but there appears to be no movie there.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
We need to get away from an Apple program. Try downloading VLC media player to see if it can play the movies. It can be found here:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I downloaded VLC (the version that was specified for OS 10.4.7 or later since mine is 10.4.11) and still won't play. The audio works for the new files (just like in Quicktime) but a message comes up saying "audio and visual file formats m2v1 aren't supported. there is nothing you can do to fix this."

I tried playing a third set of files (which I can't use for my current purposes, and this box came up: "file formats vdva aren't supported, there's nothing you can do" but one of the movies DID play (although I didn't see a way to edit or export) and one of the movies didn't play either audio or video. Like I said, though, these are too old and won't work- I need the current files to play.

Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
How large are these files? If one of them is less than 200 MB can you upload it to Rapidshare and send me the link so I can try to view it with the newer version of VLC? If you've never used rapidshare, its very easy. Go to, click "browse" and choose the file. After it uploads it will give you a link that you can share so people can download it.

Note that if your movie contains sensitive content, copywrited content, or content that is is illegal to view in the United States, don't upload the files.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the files are much bigger than that.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Can you get your hands on a machine that can run the newer version of VLC? There is a Windows version if you have a windows machine nearby. I'm not aware of any media program that is more comprehensive than this product. What was the original source of these videos?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think I can use another machine for this project; I just found someone here who can help (I think.) Going forward, however, do you have any ideas about what might be wrong with my computer--why it can't play files that it could before, and what I can do about it? The source of the files was a digital recorder, I don't know what type but the file codec says: m2v1, linear PCM, timecode. The older files say this: codecs: mpeg-2 sd camcorder, integer (little endian), time code.
The camera was the same for both.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Are you saying that your computer used to play these same files? I'm not sure why the computer is suddenly having trouble with them but I wouldn't spend too much time messing around with figuring out why. It would probably be easier and faster to reinstall OS X with a fresh copy. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to OS 10.5 or 10.6 (if you have an Intel processor) at the same time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, thanks for all your help and advice.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more asistance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.