Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

When I turn my Mac Book on it makes funny noises (like something

When I turn my Mac Book on it makes funny noises (like something rubbing against something else and unable to turn) and a folder with a question mark comes up on a white screen.
It sounds like your hard drive has suffered a mechanical breakdown. Is this computer still covered under Applecare? Do you have a backup of the data on the drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought it used. Yes I have a back-up - a week ago.
Ok, you probably are going to need to buy a new drive for the Mac and then reinstall OS X and your programs. I can help you find a drive if you are in the US, how large of a drive do you need?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have no idea as to size of drive. I use it for office work, picture storge, email, etc. How do I get a drive installed, what would a drive cost and how much does it cost to have one installed? I have just learned from a family member that the computer was dropped about 2 feet onto a cement floor. Looking at it I see no dents.
If the computer has been dropped there could be other damage, but hopefully only the hard drive was damaged. Let's take the hard drive out and see if the noise goes away. Removing and installing the hard drive is very easy and a replacement drive can be had for as little as $60. Here is a Youtube video showing you how to remove the hard drive. You'll need a small Phillips screwdriver and you'll eventually need a Torx T-8 screwdriver as well, but you won't need it until the new drive comes.

Watch the video, then remove the drive from your system. Then power the system up to see if there are any other odd noises coming from it. The system won't boot, but hopefully the fans on the processor heatsinks aren't making any noise. We can try to boot from the OS X install disc at this time as well to see if the system is working.

Here are a couple of drives so you can be aware of the prices.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My Mac Book doesn't look like the one in the You Tube Video. It is Mac Book Pro 15.4' 2.0GHz The sticker on what I think is the hard drive is CS-15783.
Ahh, its a Macbook Pro. Does it have a removeable battery?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. I found a video that looks like it but the process to get to the hard drive looks way to complex for me. A friend has suggested turning it on and putting the Operating system disc in and pressing the 'C" key - is that a reasonable thing to try?

If you say no to that there is a Mac store 30 miles from here and I think I will head up there as I am in desperation to get into my documents.

Yes, you can try booting the computer from the Operating system disc by using the c key. However, mechanical noises from the hard drive strongly indicate that the entire drive mechanism has been damaged. You can only recover the data by sending the drive for data recovery.

We might as well try. Boot the computer from the operating system disc. Select your langauge and go to the next screen. Then click on the "Utilities" menu and choose "Disk Utility". You can then click on your hard drive and choose "verify disk" followed by "repair disk". You said you had a backup, are you looking for a document that was created this week?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes but mostly I have to get to documents I have been working on. I am going to my office to get the disc and over to my friend's house to try it. I appreciate your help.
No problem, let me know if I can be of further assistance.