Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

My son created a power point file for a school project. He

My son created a power point file for a school project. He accidentally replaced it with another file of the same name. It was not backed up on any external device.

Is there a way to recover school project file?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Do you use Time Machine on this Mac with a backup drive permanently attached?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, unfortunately. After this event we'll be getting a backup drive.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Its a really tricky situation trying to recover a file that has been overwritten with the same name. Its most likely that the file is stored in the same sectors on the drive and therefore the old version is simply history. File recovery software might be able to recover it, but I'm pretty skeptical about that working in this case. The amount of time you might have to spend on recovering it might be greater than just having your son recreate his project. I can help recommend a backup drive for you so this won't happen again. Is this a Mac desktop or laptop?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a Mac desktop. I would appreciate your recommendations for a backup drive.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
For a desktop you can use any USB 2.0 hard drive will be fine. You keep it permanently attached and set up Time Machine to use it for backups. If I were you, i'd look for a generic USB drive enclosure and stay away from anything with "1-touch backups" or any kind of built in software. You just want a plain old drive as Time Machine will take care of all the backup needs for you. If you want to order online you could get this:

and thisXXXXX Get a larger one if you like: