Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I have an old PowerMac G5 that I have connected via firewire

I have an old PowerMac G5 that I have connected via firewire to my new iMac. I wanted to erase the hard drive on the old PowerMac and reinstall the operating system so I could sell it. I used the "erase" function in the disk utility on my iMac. Now every time I boot the old computer up i just have a folder with a question mark. When I put the boot disk in to upload the old operating system it tells me I cannot install it to the old machine. Do I need to format the disk in a certain way so that I can install the old operating system? Thanks Stu
You need to repartition/format the drive using an operating system no newer than OS X 10.5 (Leopard). The old G5 hard drive may have been partitioned using the GUID file system which won't be properly recognized by older version of OS X. If you partition and format using the install disk then everything should work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Pat.

When I boot from then install disk. I get the 'choose a language" screen, the "welcome screen", the "license" screen (which i agree) and then the select a destination. The drive shown has a large exclimation over it and when i try to select it, I get the following message: "! You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mas OS X cannot start up from this volume". I get no option to partition.

Am I missing something?

At the top of the screen are regular pull-down menus. Pull down the Utilities menu and you'll see Disk Utility