Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

used G5, trying to wipe via reinstalling OSX, and keep getting

Customer Question

used G5, trying to wipe via reinstalling OSX, and keep getting error, something like... INSTALL FAILED cannot identify "essentials", though that isn't word for word and that computer is at the shop not here where my home imac is.

Everytime i restart, it goes directly to the choose language page from the OSX install disc. am i trapped in limbo where this new used g5 is useless? is there a way to just wipe the hardrive and start over, or at least get it to where it was before the attempted install?
--i have restarted, unplugged for 10 minutes and then started, used pinhole on tray to remove disc and restart(that just has it shut down right when it finishishes booting up)
so it seems that the install process has started and now the G5 will do nothing but continue trying to install the OSX disc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
What version of OS X are you trying to install on the G5? If the install began and couldn't finish, the machine will be useless until you can get OS X reinstalled. I suspect that your installation disc is bad and you should try a new one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is a USED G5, i noticed i didn't put that in my question and the version is leopard. is there not a reset button?, pmu button? something? i'm just out of luck? that just doesn't seem likely that there is no way to simply reset this computer?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Reformatting the drive and reinstalling OS X is "resetting" the computer. Can you tell me what version of OS X you are trying to install on this G5 and where did the disc come from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
disc was new, 2 to 3 years ago, i used it once on another computer, just been sitting with other software since then. it does not have serial code prompts from 1st installation, can be re-used unlike a specific program like adobe products.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Did the disc come with another computer? What version of Mac OS X is on the disc? What does the disc say on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it is a stand alone packaged disc. it is OSX leopard with the dark purple/black celestial packaging.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that should be fine then. Put the disk in and boot up the computer holding the "c" key. After you choose your language, click on the "Utilities" menu and choose "Disk Utility". Then click on the internal hard drive and click the "Partition" tab. Click the dropdown menu and choose "1 Partition" then click apply. Then quit disk utility and try to install OS X to that drive. If the error occurs again, write down th exact text of what the computer says the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just got back from where computer is. ok, tried the "c" thing earlier, i found that on a message board. It didn't work. launched straight back to the same opening choose language window.

i did take photos of the prompts this tiime.

forst it says checking dvd for consistency

then ..INSTALL FAILED with big yelow traingle with exclamation point

then at the bottom, the same error again...
"Installer could not validate the contents of the "Essentials" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

click restart on your computer and try installing again.

that is what the same error has been all along.

I tried installing an older version of osx and it looked different but would just shut down instead of giving the error.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Ok, it is booting from the OS X install disc and its either finding an error on the disk or there is a problem with your optical drive. How old of a version of OS X did you also try to install? If its one that's older than the computer, it might not work.

Let's try to make an image of the installer disk on another Mac to see if that's the problem. Do you have another Mac handy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't have another mac handy. it is at an office warehouse and i am home when i respond here. the osx i am nearly positive is same age or slightly newer than G5. 05' 06' maybe?
The older version is the first version of osx and that one just shut down the G5 about at the same point where the newer version gives the error.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
I really think you need to try a different Leopard disc to eliminate that as a possibility. Do you know someone else who has Macs who might have a Leopard disc you could borrow? Is there a local computer store that does work on Macs?
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there are plenty of places to take a mac, the point was to avoid that.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
My point in asking was that you could have gotten a copy of a Leopard disk from them as I believed that the problem was your installation disc. Did the store have to replace the DVD drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just took it in today, will find out this week sometime.