Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

just put 4 gig of 667 ram in 2.4 macbook pro . run some video

Customer Question

just put 4 gig of 667 ram in 2.4 macbook pro . run some video for 10 mins or more and freezes . what to do. it seems to feel hot. ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
What kind of memory did you buy? Macs are pretty picky about memory. Do you have 2 2 gig sticks? You could try running with just one of them and see if the problem goes away.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i had 2x1 gig from new. the new 2x2gig is from powertech service centre for macs in brisbane using A Plus,thats what they sent me .the 2x1's i pulled out ,that came with the machine are samsung ,made in Korea.
i know the guys a bit from powetech as they put xp pro on for me using bootcamp.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
You still might have a defective module. You should try running only 1 of the new modules at a time to see if the error goes away with one of the modules out of the machine. I'm sure Powertech is selling Mac friendly memory if they know Macs, but defective modules do crop up every now and then. What version of OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
latest update of leopard. don't have snow leopard,what do you think of it? my thinking was wait a while till they sort the bugs.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Snow is very good. The only real problem is 3rd party printer/scanner support. The printer companies have been slow to write 64-bit drivers and snow leopard requires them. If you use a wireless printer that's not real network printer (a real network printer has a display that lets you set an IP address manually) then you could run into problems with Snow. I see lots of questions on this forum about scanning and printing problems with Snow, and I rarely click on them because there is often no solution other than buying a new unit. Make sure your printer is compatible with Snow before upgrading.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'm on the windows side ,will stream some u tube video for a few minutes ,she'll freeze ,i'll take one out and give it another go so will be a while before i get back to you pat.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
No problem, I'll be online for at least another hour.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pat, ive been trying to load it up by streaming utube and its still going.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Try the other module
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pat ,what i did before it keep going is ,i pulled the 2x2 gig modules out and changed them around ,since then she's been going like a train,i just got back from the mac side.
so how do i fix you up for your time . and can i get hold of you again because have an old powermac 7500/100 runiing a g4 card running 9.22 and can't figure out how to get the files across to the macbook pro.its about a year since i tried ,every body told me i couldn't do it ,and even though i tried for about a week with apple talk etc ,i didn't have any luck. have you any bright ideas?
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
I'd probably yank the hard drive from the old machine and try to connect it to a newer one. This presents a challenge because those old drives were SCSI and might be difficult to get connected to a newer machine. Does the 7500 have a recordable CD drive?