Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

My Macbook Yahoo Plus mail account works fine EXCEPT in the

Customer Question

My Macbook Yahoo Plus mail account works fine EXCEPT in the Mac Mail program. Recently I am not able to send photos from iPhoto, or mail from websites. I get error messages that indicate I need to check port numbers for incoming and outgoing mail to confirm server settings. I called Yahoo and was referred to this site.
One error message says "...mail.yahoo.com on port 25 timed out select a different outgoing mail server from list below or click try later".

I am connected to the internet through Lynksys; could that be the problem?
ps - I have already had tech support from Apple and they referred me to yahoo tech.s. and they referred me to you - HELP! Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Try the following steps and see if that helps or not.
  1. Open Mail and choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  3. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window (Yahoo)
  4. Click the Account Information pane.
  5. From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit Server
  6. Change outgoing mail server to smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  7. Click the "Advanced" pane (to the right of "Account Information").
  8. Change the port into 465 or 587 (custom port) and verify authentication, user name, and password. Press OK
  9. Try now (If it not worked, turn off the SSL and check it)

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Ashik on 2/11/2010 at 5:24 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work - An error message rejected the port 465 as well as the change to smpt.mail.yahoo.com
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Try port 587 and smpt.mail.yahoo.com
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried 587 and did coninue to use smpt.mail.yahoo.com and received the same error message
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
try to change the port without changing server.

Also What is the exact error message ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I told you the error messages, they also said to change the outgoing server. I just got another one without changing the server. It seems that since Apple could not help me I need help from Yahoo....???
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Is this is the exact error message " An error message rejected the port 465 as well as the change to smpt.mail.yahoo.com " ?

I need the exact error message that you are getting when you change the port..

Edited by Ashik on 2/11/2010 at 6:51 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the message is:
Cannot send message using this server smpt.mail.yahoo.com:kathy_bixler

The server "smpt.mail.yahoo.com"cannot be contracted to port 587.
Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from kathleen bixler
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
My last suggestion, you can try to delete that account from mail and recreate it, all your Mails, contacts will be erased if you delete the account from Mail application. Let me know..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I certainly don't want all my mail and contacts deleted. Is this a problem that an Apple store could help with?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Not sure about it, i just don't understand why the port and server change doesn't work.
One more suggestion, first we can try to disable the Yahoo mail temorarily and then try to change the port and server.

Open Mail application, goto "Mailbox" menu and choose "Take All Accounts Offline". This should disable your Yahoo account from Mail.app temporarily. Now, try to change the port and server.

If your are able to change the port, goto "Mailbox" menu and choose "Take All Accounts Online" to activate the account again.

Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I'm not comfortable with your last solution, will call apple again.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
It should be smtp.mail.yahoo.com NOT smpt.mail.yahoo.com

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's correct - Apple care assisted me to send emails, still cannot receive.
Thanks
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Open Mail and get back into your yahoo account settings. For incoming mail server, you should make sure your incoming server is set to plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Then click on the "Advanced" tab and make sure "Use SSL" is checked and that the port number is XXXXX

Are those all correct? Did you check in your yahoo webmail account to see if POP3 access has been enabled?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would I check in the same place as the other yahoo account settings? no POP3 or options for it there.

Couldn't find anything in the webmail account section.
Thanks!
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure if it even has to be enabled. I'm not sure why its not working if you have double checked all the settings it should be fine. Typically when this happens there is just one wrong port number, one mis-spelled server name, or an incorrect password XXXXX username.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments