Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

My hard drive has crashed on my G4 power mac dual 1ghz. After

My hard drive has crashed on my G4 power mac dual 1ghz. After running mac hardware disc i got an error code ata 3/6/13 hd3,0
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Did you try reformatting the disk using disk utlity? Note that this will completely erase the contents of your drive. Is there data on the drive that you need and isn't backed up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i have to reformat i will but i would like not to have wipe the drive as it has song files from use with Motu Digital Performer. How do i reformat if that's the only way to get up and running again?

Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Well, let's try to do a disk repair to see what happens. Boot your computer from the OS X install disc. After you choose your language, you will see a menu at the top of the screen called "Utilities". Click that and choose "Disk Utility". Hopefully disk utility will see your hard drive. Click on it and choose "Verify Disk". Then click "repair disk". You can then see if you can boot your computer again. If Disk Utility can't fix the drive, you might need to use a program called "Diskwarrior". This program costs $100, and there's no guarantee that it will fix your drive.

You can also reformat the drive from Disk Utility by clicking on the drive and choosing "Partition". Then choose "1 Partition" from the drop down menu and click "Apply". This will erase the contents of the disk in preparation for installing OS X.

Regarding your use of the drive, you should really not use your boot drive for recording Digital Performer tracks to. Audio recording of this type is very hard on drives and increases the probability of a drive failure. Using a dedicated scratch disk helps to prevent a failure from bringing your whole system down.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try your suggestions and get back to you.