Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

Ive inherited a powerbook G4 and the clock will not allow

I've inherited a powerbook G4 and the clock will not allow me to set it to the current date and time. What should I try?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Try resetting the PRAM values by following this procedure:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Did you try the fix? Did it work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it did not, and on that computer I was asked to pay again for a second question
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
...and it did it again, even on my antique PC
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Try resetting the PMU on that Powerbook. Here is a link to the Apple article which tells you how to do it for the various models of powerbook:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

The Justanswer site can be confusing regarding questions. Just make sure you are only posting follow-ups to this question. It will harras you to "Accept", but please don't accept until you are satisfied with the answer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good to know about the accept thing... I'll try the site
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the control key the "apple" key?
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
No, the apple key is "command". The Control key should say "ctrl" on it.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I've tried what the article suggested still to no avail. Could it be that the battery does not hold a charge?
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Possibly, but its odd that it won't even allow you to change the time. The flash memory that the clock uses might be damaged. I don't know what to suggest beyond what we have tried. I'll opt out of this question in case another expert has an idea.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I have to ask again for another expert to answer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Help?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
*sigh.... Too late for me. I'll resume in the morning.
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.
I have read what was suggested by the previous expert and would agree. However, after looking over your original issue, you stated that the Powerbook is freezing when you attempt to change the clock? This sounds like the problem could be with System Preferences crashing and/or the Mac OS X crashing rather than an issue with the battery, PRAM or clock itself.

Does the computer lock up when making any other changes through system preferences, or by performing any other tasks?

What time and date does the clock currently have? Does it keep time when you shut the Powerbook down? Even if it is the wrong time? Or does it reset to something like "January 1st, 1968 12:01am" every time you restart?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Travis,

The computer does not freeze when trying to change other things but when I shut it down it goes back to whatever the settings were originally.

As for the time and date, It is set for 12/21/1969 at 7 something p.m. and will not change.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I still do not have an answer...
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me which model Powerbook G4 you have? If you do not know the exact model, you can post your serial number here and I'll be able to look it up. The serial number can be found under the apple menu > about the mac > more info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tiger, I think
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK Experts, I'm still trying to get an answer
Expert:  Travis replied 7 years ago.
I'll need the exact model and identifiers of the PowerBook itself (monitor size, processor type, processor speed) in order to continue, not just the Mac OS X version. Although know which version of Tiger will help. This info can all be found under the apple menu > about this mac > more info.

If you do not know the exact model and identifiers, you can post your serial number here and I'll be able to look it up. The serial number can also be found under the apple menu > about the mac > more info.