Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I use PowerBook G4- OS X with Leaf Capture 11 for digital ph

I use PowerBook G4- OS X with Leaf Capture 11 for digital photography. While attempting to transfer a 40G file with laptop in HD mode the system hung. I tried to reboot several times but was unsuccessful to launch OS X. When it finally did reboot the files could only be transferred by burning a DVD. Once this was done the files were removed from the system. Problem is the memory on system HD never replenished. Any ideas where the storage went?
Version 10.4.11
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
The storage has been allocated in the file table, but the files don't exist. You need to run Disk Utility and run a "repair disk" to get the space back. You might need to boot the system from an OS X installation disk in order for it to work correctly. Do you have your installation disk handy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX was spot on.