Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

iMac 24 (2007-2008)...Get gray screen of death...sometimes

Customer Question

iMac 24" (2007-2008)...Get gray screen of death...sometimes with envelope/question mark...sometimes with nothing. Managed to boot with install CD. Ran Disk repair...erased disk and reinstalled OS 10.4. STill get GSOD. Is it a bad Hard Drive?...Logic board?...Power Supply?....Help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
You're saying the install disk boots fine, does the Mac OS install, and then on reboot your machine won't boot? That combined with you having seen the envelope/question mark is strongly indicating that you have a bad hard drive. Fortuneately this is a cheap and easy repair you should be able to do yourself. Is the computer still covered by your Applecare warranty?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What you said is correct. Out of warranty. Here's a tidbit...when I first bought my iMac, I had to return it and exchange for a new one because of bad firewire ports. They actually exchanged the entire iMac at the Apple store. Less than a year later, I had problems similar to the ones I am having now. They replaced the logic board, power supply,...not the HD. It's worked great ever since. Well, since some time ago...Mac Office apps, upon me closing them, would display a box that said "Excel has quit unexpectedly." I would just hit the ignore button. Tried to reinstall the change. This went on for some time, then other apps, but not all, started getting the same message. Went downhill from there.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Hmm, that's an odd set of circumstances, perhaps there is a problem with the logic board. One way you can test that theory would be to install OS X to an external firewire or USB drive and see if the system will boot normally.