Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

Need to share files on two macbook pros and on an iMac. Cant

Need to share files on two macbook pros and on an iMac. Can't get them to see each other.
This can be glitchy sometimes. Have you tried disabling the firewalls on one or all of the machines? You can do this by going to System Preferences>Security and clicking on the firewall tab. If the firewall is running, click "Stop". Do that on all the machines, and then you should see the other machines in you finder window.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The FIREWALL was/is off on all machines. That isn't the problem.
What kind of network device is connecting these computers? A wireless access point? Is it an Apple one or another vendor? Do they connect over wireless or over wired connections?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One MacBooks is connected wireless to the Cradlepoint router downstairs and the other is connected wireless via the Linksys router upstairs (Linksys router connected to the Cradlepoint router via ethernet hardwire.

As I was writing this I decided to put both laptops lin the same room on the same router (just to experiment but they can't stay in the same room on the same router) . . . and whalah! They can both see the public folder of the other computer . . . which NOW means I need to know how to make the SEE each other when they are on the SAME NETWORK but not on the SAME ROUTER.

BUT . . . when I try to access the contents of the SHARED folder I get the same message on each machine "The folder "Drop Box" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access prvileges."

So, hopefully that ADDITIONAL INFO will get us further down the road . . .
You should be able to get access by clicking "connect as" and entering a username and password XXXXX they are on the same network. Regarding your setup, I'm assuming you only have DHCP turned on on one of the routers, is this correct? Also, which router connects to the internet? When you connected the routers together, did you wire from LAN port to LAN port, or did you connect from the LAN port on one to the WAN port on the other? They should be wired LAN to LAN with DHCP enabled on only one router. The routers will also need seperate IP addresses. Here's a basic summary of how your routers should be connected to each other:

Router 1 (gateway router, its attached to the cable modem or DSL modem)
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
DHCP: enabled

wire from LAN port on router 1 to LAN port on router 2
Router 2 config:
IP Address:
Subnet Mask
Default gateway:
DHCP: Disabled

This configuration should allow your machines to all see each other.