Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

Dear Justanswer team, I am awaiting an answer from one of

Customer Question

Dear Justanswer team,
I am awaiting an answer from one of your technicians, who has been offline for more than a day. Is there someone else who could help me with my Macbook problem?
do I have to pay for each suggestion/answer? although it didn't solve the problem?

thank you,
SD
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
I took over your original question, I will have this new question closed. You should have been e-mailed a link to the original question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Pat,
thank you for taking over, do you need me to retype the original question or do you have access to my file?
thank you, XXXXX
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
I posted in the original question, but this one is easier for you to find. Here's what I said:

Sammy, sorry about the delay. I'll try to help you since Terry is offline. Did you upgrade the memory in this machine at some point or did all the RAM currently in the computer come with the machine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Pat,
none of the memory has been upgraded. All the RAM came with the machine. I had to install Win XP to run a program, last year, around May '09. I've notice the fan kicking in a lot after I installed that. Terry mentioned something about the last folder opened before the crash. I opened a link to a Clickbank store we purchased on ebay, downloaded the files and looked at the video tutorial. That was the last thing I did on the MAcbook, shut it down normally and the next day when it was time to turn it on again, this alarm-like "snooze" button on an alarm clock radio went off.
I hope this helps....Customer
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
I suspect there could be a hardware problem. Did you say you tried to boot it with an OS X install disc? Can you take out your OS X install disc, turn on the computer, put it in the drive and hold down the "c" button. You might need to try it twice as the computer might start booting while you are still trying to load the disc in the drive. If it will load the install disk, click on the "Utilities" menu and launch "Disk Utility". Then you can click on your boot drive and choose verify disk, then repair disk and see if that finds a problem and corrects it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Pat,
I tried: turn on computer and hold "C" key, release when spinning wheel appears. Then I am trying with the OS X disc in there, still holding the "C" button down but cn't seem to get passed the blue screen.

Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
It takes a lot longer to boot from the optical drive. Do you have another Mac and a firewire cable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I have an Imac, from I am writing to you from, I have a Firewire cable as well.

what is "boot from optical drive?"... (sorry to ask a dumb question...)
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Booting from the optical drive is what we were trying to do by booting from the install disk. CDs and DVDs are known as "optical disks" because the information is read from and written to them using a laser.

Let's put your Macbook in Target disk mode. To do this, turn the Mac off. Then turn it on and hold down the "t" button until you see this screen:
graphic

Then connect it using the firewire cable to your iMac. On your iMac, launch "Disk Utility" by clicking on the magnifying glass in the top right of the screen and type "disk utility" without the quotes and press enter. Disk Utility should show a list of drives on the left, one of which will be your Macbook. Click on the drive and choose "Verify Disk" then "repair disk". While you've got the computer connected like this, it might be a good idea to go ahead and copy the data off your Macbook hard drive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will get to this right away.
Will I still be able to be in touch with you while the firewire cable is hooked up to the Imac?
and, how do I copy the data off my Macbook hard drive?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
The macbook hard drive will show up in Finder just like your regular drives. All the user documents and data are located in a folder called "Users" on the root directory of the hard drive. That's the folder that you are going to want to go ahead and back up to your iMac. How old is this Macbook? Is it still under Applecare?

Yes, you can get in touch with me by going back to justanswer.com. When you log into your account you should be able to find the question. Also, there's no reason to close your web browser on the iMac, that computer doesn't need to be shut down. Just keep the window to me open.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok,
will hook up the firewire in a minute. I purchased the Macbook in August '08, no Apple care (I had AppleCare with the Imac, which was purchased in '06, and never used it. Nothing ever happens to Mac. I stand corrected! I won't tell anyone). I chose not to purchase Applecare with the Macbook.
I will keep the connection you open. thnx,
I'm keeping you posted.Customer
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Applecare is a toss-up. Apple's failure rates for hardware are roughly equal to the industry averages. I've owned several Apple laptops, some have had failures, while my current one (Macbook from October 07) has never had a single issue. I typically advise people to get Applecare unless they know of a local store that can do Apple repairs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I agree with you about Applecare. I have the firewire hooled up, I clicked on "verify disk" it did its thing and "verify disk" is still highlighted, not the "repair disk" should I run "verify disk" one more time? I can't seem to find the "users" as you mentioned earlier to back up....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if this is any help, here's what is showing in the window above "verify disc" :
Verifying volume “Mac OS X Install Disc 1”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Mac OS X Install Disc 1 appears to be OK.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
Volume passed verification
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You're checking the wrong disk, that's the DVD drive. You should see another drive, its probably called "Macintosh HD" which is confusing as that's the same drive as your iMac (probably). If you take a screenshot of Disk Utility, that would help me. While you have disk utility open, hit command-shift-3, that will drop a screenshot on your desktop. Then click on this icon here on the justanswer site:
graphic

Choose the screenshot file from your desktop and then submit the info to me so I can see what its showing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Pat,
here are the screen shots, 3rd picture shows you the "Volume passed verification" in green. hope this helps. graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You're checking the wrong disk. Verify the disk called Macintosh HD that has the Orange icon next to it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I double click, this is what I see:

do I click and drag? ( it doesn't move)
I never did a back up before. Sorry.
also,
when I select it, Macintosh HD with orange icon, the "repair disk" is bold.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pat,
I found "users" file.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like your drive is fine, which means there's probably a problem with your hardware. You can drag that users folder onto the iMac and back it up. You need to have the computer looked at by someone who has some skill diagnosing hardware failures.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,
let me hook it back up and do a back up. Earlier, I clicked "verify disk" and it came back with a couple a things that need fixing and it instructed to click "Repair disk" but I didn't because the Macbook hadn't been backed up yet. Will I loose the new iLife app on the Macbook? Fom what I understood, Tiger doesn't have the syst.requirements to handle the new ilife 09.
What would cause a hardware failure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is the error found, and the next window after clicking repair.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Pat,

I will have to contact a Mac store around our area and consider bringing the Macbook in. Do you know what can cause a hardware failure?
thankyou,Sammy
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Its hard to say what caused the hardware failure. Computers generally fail because of heat. So, if the computer has been operated in a high temperature environment, or didn't have adequate cooling, its more likely to break down. However, things do just break in these machines. Its a portable computer, so it gets moved around, things bump into it, etc. If the logic board has failed, you might as well replace the system. Logic Board repairs will run you at least $600. Compare that to the cost of a new Macbook (about $1000) and you can see that it would be worthwhile to purchase a new machine.

Apple has a minimum cost to repair anything on a Macbook which might be as much $600. You should either try to find a computer repair store that works on Macs or consider getting a new machine. If you're in the San Francisco Bay area I have a store I can suggest, however its pretty unlikely that you are in this area.

Regarding lIfe 09, do you still have the installation discs? If so, you can install them on another system that's running Leopard or later. You can upgrade your iMac to Leopard, or to Snow Leopard if the iMac has an Intel processor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Pat for all your info,
I am in the British Columbia Canada/north of Idaho area. So I'll rule out San Francisco! I will get a Service Request with a shop about 60 miles north of us.
I will see what the options are after they've looked at the unit.
I have Intel Core Duo on my Imac, and I've been contemplating upgrading to Leopard (...or snow leopard) for a few months because it has been sluggish for the last little while. Is Snow Leopard stable? CAn I find out with the serials number if the system has Intel Processor? (WD-WCANY1291787
)
That was actually another question I wanted to ask Justanswer: the Imac is sluggish and slow to respond, what do I do? remove pictures from iphoto? upgrade something?

Let me know if I should open another file with you guys regarding the Imac.

thank you.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Your iMac will work with Snow Leopard. If I had to guess, I'd say you need more RAM. Go on your iMac to the apple menu at the top left of the screen and choose "About This Mac" and tell me what it says for "Memory".
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You only have 512 MB of RAM, 2 GB is the minimum I like to see these days; 4 GB for users who like to run lots of programs at the same time. Happily for you, memory is pretty cheap and easy to install. What size screen does your iMac have? What speed Intel processor? How long have you had it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic

4 GB for users who like to run lots of programs at the same time.
I agree

Happily for you, memory is pretty cheap and easy to install.
good news in deed

What size screen does your iMac have?
20"
What speed Intel processor?
I don't know, is it showing on the picture/attachment?

How long have you had it?
Summer '06
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You should get this for your iMac:

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KTA-MB667K2/2G

That will upgrade you to 2 GB of RAM (the most your system can take). This will make your iMac perform better and will allow you to upgrade it to snow leopard.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cool.
thank you Pat, you're the best.

Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
No problem, good luck with your systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh,
I just read your feedback, thank you! I hate not knowing much about the technical part... I left a feedback for you when I clicked "accept" a little while earlier. Can you see it somewhere in your files?
It's all good and all positive!

S.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
I got it, I appreciate the positive comments.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you're welcome, I've bookmarked your site and will request you as technician if I need help with other issues. I see that you have experience w/ mac and PC. as youprobably read earleir, I have installed Win XP on the Macbook. Would that de-stabilize it? should I remove it when I get the unit back up?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
No, XP via Parallels or boot camp wouldn't have caused these errors. If the computer won't boot from the OS install discs that generally indicates a serious problem with the computer hardware. It ignores the contents of the hard drive while the disc is booting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got it.
I have had a little "keyboard" protector on the keyboard. I'd take it off to do my work but leave it on to avoid getting dust and particles inside the unit. Would have it caused it to overheat? (...I hope not)
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
No, the current generation of Mac computers does not ventilate through the keyboard. The vents are at the back of the system where the screen hinge is. If the computer is sitting on a soft surface (blanket for instance) while the processor is working hard, the temperatures will rise above the acceptable levels.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good to know. The computer has never sat on a soft surface. I had read about this when I first got it. thank you for ruling one possibility out!
Would you like me to keep you posted when the Macbook gets a diagnostic? for your records? if so, do I simply come back to this page and send you a msg with "reply" button?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Sure, I wouldn't mind hearing what they have to say. You should be able to reply to this thread by returning to this site.