Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

My MacBook has always had a problem staying connected to the

My MacBook has always had a problem staying connected to the internet after a few minutes of inactivity. I have U Verse. My two other home computers are PCs and
they don't have the same problem. Is there a setting on my MacBook that will enable
me to stay online even though I walk away for more than 5 minutes?
Do you connect via Wifi or an ethernet cable? What version of OS X are you currently running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a wireless connection. Please let me know how I can find out what version
of OS X I'm using.
Click on the Apple menu at the top left of the screen and choose "About This Mac". You'll see something like this:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have version 10.5.8
I'm wondering if the computer is going to sleep and then not waking up the airport after you resume it. We can try disabling sleep in the Energy Saver control panel. Click the Apple Menu and choose "System Preferences" then click "Energy Saver". How quickly is your computer currently set to go to sleep? Try increasing the slider to "never" and leave the computer alone for 15 minutes then see if the conneciton is still working. Here is an image of the energy saver preference pane:

If that doesn't work, we can reset all your network preferences, which might do the trick.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try that. Other than burning evergy, does that setting affect my MacBook?
No, the computer just won't go to sleep on its own. I'm not 100% sure it will work but its worth a try.