Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

acomdata external drive lights up but fan does not work

Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let's get some more information here so that I can help you resolve this problem.

What kind of Mac do you have?
What version of OS X do you have installed?
Does your acomdata external drive connect via USB or Firewire?
When you power on the external drive, do you hear the drive spin up?
You say the fan doesn't work does the drive still mount on your computer?
If no, can you launch Disk Utility and see the drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.6.2 brand new lap top usb connection...no sounds from the hard drive (spin up)...what disk utility?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Disk Utility is a program in OS X. Connect the drive to your Mac and launch disk utlity by clicking on the magnifying glass at the top right of your screen and type "disk utility" without the quotes and press enter. See if it can see your external hard drive or enclosure. If it sees the drive, click on "Verify Disk" and see what it tells you.

Based on you telling me that the fan doesn't work and the drive doesn't spin up, I'm guessing that the 12V output on the power supply that came with your enclosure is not working. You may need to remove the drive from the enclosure and use another enclosure to access the data. Let me know what disk utility says.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I don't see it....:-( How do I replace the 12v out put thing-ma-bob?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Does the acomdata enclosure use an external power supply?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea it has a power cord connected to it
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Is it just a straight power cord, or does the power cord have a transformer in the middle of it? The transformer could be on the plug itself (wall wort) or might be in the middle of the cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yep transfprmer in the middle...black box type thing
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that's probably what needs to be replaced. It might be hard to find one. You don't happen to have a Mac Pro do you (or know someone who does)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
maybe....can I order one on line..."Dura Micro INc."?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
stepping away for a minute
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but it might be easier and faster to replace the whole enclosure. Putting the drive in another enclosure shouldn't be difficult. If you open up the enclosure you'll find a hard drive inside (don't try to dismantle the drive itself). That drive can be taken out and put into another enclosure which you could get at Fry's Electronics, or perhaps Best Buy. If you're outside the US, I don't know what types of retailers are available to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what if I just want the data off of it and thats it
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Then you still need another external enclosure or a desktop computer to attach it to. You'll still need to take the enclosure apart and pull the drive out. If you know someone who is handy with computers (maybe someone from work? Geeky friends?) they can probably help you get it accomplished.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments