Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

My Iomega drive did not shut down properly, and now when I

My Iomega drive did not shut down properly, and now when I connect it, my IMAC doesn't recognise it. The light on the front turns on, and the machine is powered, but it's not mounting. I have lots of information on the external hard drive so would like to access it if possible.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Connect it to your iMac and launch a program called "disk utility". You can find it using spotlight (the little magnifying glass at the top right of your screen) by clicking on it and typing "disk utility" without the quotes.

Once in disk utility, click on the external drive (it should be obvious which one that is) and click "verify disk". Let me know what the result it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Pat, I did the following and the following message came up;

Verifying volume “Tower 4”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure
Invalid record count
The volume Tower 4 needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

What shall I do next. Will clicking Repair Disk lose all the information stored on it?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Repair disk should not affect the data on the disk, but there are no guarantees. You don't have any other backup of the data? Even if you don't, your only option is to repair it and hope that it works right.

Moving forward, you should consider getting another drive to use for making backups.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cheers XXXXX XXXXX this comes up!

Verify and Repair disk “Tower 4”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure
Invalid record count
Volume check failed.

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Can it be saved?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
There's a program called "DiskWarrior" that can probably repair it. The program is $100 but is very powerful and repairs these types of problems all the time. You might opt to take this to a local computer store that specializes in Macs as they will likely own this program already.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Down loaded program. Worked for a few minutes but now the Iomega drive is not even registering on Utilites. Just makes a werring noise and the light no longer stays on. Seems more buggered than before now
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
If the drive is making noise then there is a mechanical problem with the drive mechanism. Your data may or may not be intact, but recovering it will probably require sending it to a data recovery facility where they can open the drive case, remove the platters, and use special tools to read the data. Drivesavers is one I have used before, but their minimum fee is $600.

Its possible that the problem is with the drive enclosure and not the drive itself. You can open the enclosure and you will find a standard hard drive inside. You can try connecting this to another computer or to yours by using a different enclosure to see if the drive is still functional.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments